Gear Oil Color & Paint

surfduke

Seaman
Hi All.... I am just changing the lower unit oil on my Evinrude 90HP (model #VE90TLESB). 2 Quick Questions:<br /><br />1. Here's a picture of the oil that came out of the lower unit. Does it look ok?<br /><br />
gearoil.jpg
<br /><br />2. What color is my engine paint? I'd like to do some touch up on some exposed areas and I am not sure what color to buy. It's not in the service manual.<br />
color.jpg
<br /><br />Sorry for the noobie questions.... but I am a noobie... Thanks for the help!

surfduke

Seaman
Re: Gear Oil Color & Paint

Oh, another quick question: <br /><br />On the gear box oil screws there's an o-ring. Is it anything special or can I get them at NAPA? We are in a small town and the marine store sucks... Not open on Sat... when I am off to do work.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

As long as there is no water mixed with the oil, it is fine. Some brands are different colors than others. Just make sure you use hi-viscosity lower unit lube. As for the engine color, it looks just like my 91' 70 HP rude. That would be the "Blue Metallic", which is available right here at iboats in spray cans. I repainted my motor hood with it and it looks great even after several years. Best to get the screw seals from the dealer or marine parts store, but if the local auto parts store can match them up, go for it...<br /><br />Paint can be had here:<br /><br /> web page

surfduke

Seaman

Thanks Rick! I appreciate the advice. Got the lower unit oil changed. I will buy the paint and get the engine all spiffed up.<br /><br />I'd like to be the first in line to shoot the bastid who came up with the idea on how to fill the lower unit with oil. What a messy job.... errrr!!!