Gear Lube

sychan29

Cadet
All...I think this is the right place for this message. Apologies if not.

18ft I/O, 3.0 Mericruiser. I noticed that the gear lube is low. I can just add some more to the monitor tub, right (vs. the lower unit)? Might be a stupid question, but still learning (and fairly retentive) so I thought I would ask.

Also the manual makes a big deal about not mixing high performance lube with others. I think that this is just telling me not to mix synthetic and non-synthetic. Anything else I should be watching for. Don't want to put something where it don't belong.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gear Lube

I would jsut drain and refill the whole thing. Consider it the outdrive service if you havent done it yet, but yoeah you can just top it off if you wish.. I use 80-90W GL5 rated gear lube
Rob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the gear lube in the reservoir is dark green, then it's the Mercruiser Hi-Performance gear lube. Don't mix it with other types of oil.
If your reservoir suddenly started dropping, you have a leak. You should pull the drive and make sure it's not leaking into the bellows. You should also drain the drive and do a pressure and vacuum leak test to determine where the leak actually is.
If it's leaking into the water, it will probably be leaking water back into the drive.

sychan29

Cadet

Thanks for the assist. Luckily, I filled and the level is staying the same so hopefully, no leak.