Gear Lube

sychan29

Cadet
All...I think this is the right place for this message. Apologies if not.

18ft I/O, 3.0 Mericruiser. I noticed that the gear lube is low. I can just add some more to the monitor tub, right (vs. the lower unit)? Might be a stupid question, but still learning (and fairly retentive) so I thought I would ask.

Also the manual makes a big deal about not mixing high performance lube with others. I think that this is just telling me not to mix synthetic and non-synthetic. Anything else I should be watching for. Don't want to put something where it don't belong.

Last edited:

sychan29

Cadet
Re: Pls ignore: I posted in the wrong place

Sorry...I realized this is in the wrong place but I can't figure out how to delete!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Not to worry. Learning the hard way is learning indeed. The bottle will drop a bit after a fresh gearlube change. The drive kinda overfills, but it's of no consequence thanks to the way they designed it. After a fresh change, I fill the bottle to about 1/2 inch below the neck cuz I know the drive will drink a bit more. Adding to the bottle is the correct method. Don't expect it to stay exactly at the upper level all the time. The level will fluctuate a bit with temperature and barometric pressure.

sychan29

Cadet

Many thanks for the input. I'm learning more each time I go out there.