Gear lube & motor oil for F115 4-stroke

crash5185

Recruit
I have a F115 4-stroke Yamaha. Anyone have an opinion about what type of motor oil and gear lube should be used?

I've heard that only Yamalube should be used for the motor oil and Mercury gear lube for the lower unit is best. But I've also heard that the lower unit should only use Yamalube. I don't know who to believe.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gear lube & motor oil for F115 4-stroke

Yep, use Yamalube engine oil...and yes, merc gear oil is very very good, we've used it in Yamas alot....i do prefer it in fact...and no I am not a merc fan...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

If it's under warranty, go Yamalube for both. If you can't get it for some strange reason, make sure the motor oil is of appropriate viscosity and that it is FC-W certified. Merc's Hi-Perf gearlube is also a good choice, but you're always safest using the manufacturer's product during warranty periods.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yamaha is pretty loose on warranty(for now) and even in technicians training(printed materials) it never says Yamaha requires it's own oils anywhere and only gives the specs for the oil....hear was considering going to TC-W4 and decided expense too high(not sure?)
Does say RECOMENDS Yamalub 2 or Yamalube 4......it's the best engine oil there is....but not the gear lube, Merc is best by me....