gear lube leak

bottombouncer

Recruit
1990 4.3 Alpha One I/O - Went to fire up boat w/ muffs and gear lube started filling in behind prop.(Trim was up) Changed lube(looks ok) but boat hasn't been on the water in over a year. In fact last ones to take it out hit bottom (sand bar), and sheared the shaft. Had all fixed by mechanic. Sound like a seal problem? Any pressure tests or troubleshoots I can do?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: gear lube leak

I would surely have the unit pressure and vacuum checked.Can you have the same mechanic check it.Could be seals or old fluid.Charlie

f_inscreenname

Commander

Don't start your boat with the trim up. One of the worst things you can do.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

When you say trim up........do you mean in the trailer position or in the up position. The ramp My buddy puts in at isnt very deep 2-3ft at max for 200 yrds.....What kind of trouble can you create starting the drive in any position then the completly down position?

bottombouncer

Recruit

I had a chance to gab with my boat doctor yesterday. He said its probably one of two seals. No, I might not have made it clear that I was out of water w/trim up using a garden hose & muffs. Never heard of it being "harmful" to start a boat with the trim up higher though. As long as the pump is getting water, what are we hurting?

Bondo

Staff member

The U-joints Bind at Severe Angles........<br />It should be No Higher than Trim when running....... Ever......