gear lube leak ?

scott68

Seaman
i have just recently noticed after storage that i have gear lube leaking from behind the prop. winterized it in october before any freeze and had not noticed any problem last season but the boat was in the water. 1985 johnson 70 hp. is this due to lower unit damage or something else? i don't want to start it until i know what is wrong.

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: gear lube leak ?

Are you certain it is gear lube?
There are alot of posts thinking fog oil mixed with exhaust soot is gear oil.

If you are sure it is gear oil I would drain the gear lube and maybe have it pressure/ vac tested.
if the oil is milky its got water in it.
still a pressure test will give you the answers you need.

scott68

Seaman

i havent run it since fall before i changed the lube and yes it is in fact lube, i did nothing else but the lube. it is pooled in the housing behind the bearing plate.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Pressure and vacuum test to make sure, but it sounds like a prop shaft seal(s) leak. Most take two seals back to back. BC of the motor's age, you may need to do the drive shaft and /or shift shaft seals as well. Don't exceed 15 psig ... LU should hold some pressure or vacuum for about 45 minutes. Submerge under water in a kiddie pool or something similar after you have pressure and the bubbles will tell you where needs help. Make sure to drain the gear oil before any tests.

Jim

scott68

Seaman

i have the seloc manual and it just shows how to on replacement not how to check for the problem, not the best manual from what i am told. what is the chance on getting a short tutorial on this??