Gear case

Dani1989

Seaman Apprentice
Good day I was having problems with a big bang and couldn’t figure it out. So I changed the oil in the lower unit and had ALOT of shavings and a lot stuck to the screws. So I took the gear case apart and found that the clutch dog looks to have been the possible problem I just don’t see damage to the gear which I thought would also have damage. Would this be the reason ? And what is causing the clutch dog to do this. The forward is worse than reverse. But both show some damage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would the Gears are Shot, as there are several teeth with what look like Gouges and chipping, the Clutch Dog is worn, I suspect the Bearings are also going to show Galling. Most Common Reason for Lower Unit Damage, is people "Easing" it into Gear. Shifting needs to be very Quick with no Hesitation

alldodge

Staff member
The dogs look like they have been shifted slowly for some time

The one gear has a mark in it but doesn't give me a worry of failure

Some of the metal may be coming from the upper

Is Merc gear lube being used?

Reactions: KJM

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the pinion is toast, the dog clutch is toast. with that much metal running around in the gear case, assume the bearings are toast.

KJM

Lieutenant
the pinion is toast, the dog clutch is toast. with that much metal running around in the gear case, assume the bearings are toast.
Agree on the clutch dog and likely bearings, but do you really think the pinion looks that bad? The teeth aren't rounded off and I don't see how a few little dents in the mating surfaces would affect performance, but I'm not a mechanic.....

Dani1989

Seaman Apprentice
The dogs look like they have been shifted slowly for some time

The one gear has a mark in it but doesn't give me a worry of failure

Some of the metal may be coming from the upper

Is Merc gear lube being used?
Yes. When I changed the oil it came out clean. But this time around (maybe an hr of water time) it drained out black.

Dani1989

Seaman Apprentice
I would the Gears are Shot, as there are several teeth with what look like Gouges and chipping, the Clutch Dog is worn, I suspect the Bearings are also going to show Galling. Most Common Reason for Lower Unit Damage, is people "Easing" it into Gear. Shifting needs to be very Quick with no Hesitation
I didn't know about the quick shift as I'm a new boater. Thank you. Also can you help me with where the damage is on the gears when I inspected they looked fine and I don't see any gouges but this is all new to me. And which bearings are you talking about where would I find these so I can send pics and get help?

Dani1989

Seaman Apprentice
I think I'm gonna have to clean up the gears and pinion and repost pics because I'm having difficulty see what all you guys are seeing as gouging. Where would I find the bearings? All of this has happened within about an hr of running the boat. I had changed the lower unit oil and it was clean and then went on water for an hr and it just got to the point of grinding and not going into gear. Then I got home and changes oil and it was black.

Dani1989

Seaman Apprentice
Quick question after watching a video. Is there suppose to be a spring in this spot. Because there wasn't, and on a video I just watched a guy had a spring in there could be a cause of a diff motor size, but just another question. Thanks guys for all your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
What brand, year and HP motor? SEI may make a brand new gearcase, for the price of replacing those gears, bearings and dog.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, see if SEI makes one. I know they make replacements for my '98 Johnny V6. Pay attention the the driveshaft length. My '98 has the 2 piece driveshaft, and the SEI replacement reuses the upper driveshaft.

alldodge

Staff member
First gear pic (middle one) between 1 and 2 o'clock is the mark I was referring to

Dani1989

Seaman Apprentice
No spring in there.-----Make sure shift rod is set at correct height on re-assembly.
Okay. Thank you. Do you happen to know why the gears and clutch dog would not fully be engaging? It seems like the clutch dog was just skimming the gear the way it is damaged.

Dani1989

Seaman Apprentice
New videos.

Attachments

• 71704386478__1AB74B08-4FF0-4C10-9A2F-1874A5BD3996.MOV
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 71704421503__F0AFF30A-ED44-4E55-AE7A-E33228594BE5.MOV
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 71704429063__2609281E-E264-439A-95D4-8074AF99A03B.MOV
    7 MB · Views: 0

Dani1989

Seaman Apprentice
OK, see if SEI makes one. I know they make replacements for my '98 Johnny V6. Pay attention the the driveshaft length. My '98 has the 2 piece driveshaft, and the SEI replacement reuses the upper driveshaft.
I'll take a look. Thanks.

Grub54891

Admiral
Clean to you and clean to me are two different things. You can wipe the dirt with a q-tip, its not clean. A little hard for me to see damage unless it's cleaned and dry. Brake clean and a wipe down isn't to hard.