gear case full of water

huntandhook

Seaman
I went to change the lower end fluid today and when I opened the drain plug a stream of water came out rather than oil! After the gear case was about half empty some thick, dark, sludgy oil began to slowly exit the drain. I bought the motor last year and have only used it about 10 hours, mostly in fresh water. Its a 1979 Johnson 40 hp model # 40R79E. <br />I'm wondering how likely it is that I have damaged the gear case? Is it worth it to pull the lower end apart and change the gaskets or will I have to rebuild the gear case?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: gear case full of water

I would pull both the fill and drain plugs, refill with fresh oil making sure that you use new gaskets on the plugs. This is a common source of water ingestion. Take it for a run and recheck. If water is still getting in it is time for a vacuum and pressure test to find out where the leak is.

huntandhook

Seaman

I'll try refilling it with oil and changing the plug gaskets. Is there anything i can do to flush the water/sludge out of the gearcase before i refill it with oil?<br />One more question I have is what position should I have the motor in when I refill the oil? I have a manual and it shows the lower unit being refilled with the motor fully tilted up (horizontal). Is this correct, or should the motor be lowered down to the drive position (vertical)?

jleus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Close to level to fill (in drive position as you described). If that much water came out I would want it disassembled, cleaned out, bearings and gears checked and resealed. A bearing is much cheaper than a gear set and if a bearing comes apart the gears are going to try and chew the pieces up. Parts only on the last lower I fixed cost aprox. $500.00, about $225.00 was gears. The pinion bearing is the first to destruct, the forwrd and reverse gear bearings were getting some of the "sludge". A pressure test will tell you which one of the old worn out seals is leaking but they will ALL still be of the same age and condition. Watch EBay, if it breaks. Complete units go by priced right for that motor.