Gear box oil questions

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice
This will sound stupid to 99.999 % of you on here but i need to ask one simple question .<br /><br />How / where do i check the oil on my 1967 33hp Johnson ?<br /><br />Also if i drain the oil where do i fill it up and how ?<br /><br />How much oil should it take and what sort / grade should i use ?<br /><br />Thanks alot

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gear box oil questions

On the starboard side of the foot are two plugs with straight screwdriver slots. The top one is the vent and the bottom one is for draining and filling. DO NOT mess with the Phillips head screw between them.<br /><br />To check the oil remove the vent plug. Oil should be just short of overflow there.<br /><br />To drain and fill remove both plugs. Use the bottom hole for both draining and filling. Any marine shop, even Wal Mart, sells 90w gearcase oil for all but electroshift and hydroelectric shift OMC engines (they require special oil). I don't remember if your '67 33hp has that.<br /><br />When filling pump the oil into the drain/fill hole until it starts to overflow the vent. Replace the vent plug (new gasket), then the drain/fill plug (new gasket).<br /><br />You really need an Owner's Manual and a Service Manual if you intend to mess with your engine. Check with kencook.com for oem reprints.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear box oil questions

The lower drain screw is at the bottom of the bulge in the gear case. You can't see it standing up.