GaugeGuy

SoulWinner

Commander
Dude, you hunt bears? That freaked me out since they are so rare down here that they are protected. I have a couple of questions:<br /><br />1) What do you do with the bear once you kill it? Do you eat it? Is it good? If you do eat them, tell me all about it, what cuts you get from a bear, what it tastes like, etc. Also, do you get bear grease? Up until the 20th century bear grease was used for all kinds of stuff.<br /><br />2) Is killing a bear like killing a deer, or other game animal? I ask this because I really like bears, I think they are cute and since they are related to dogs (and I love dogs) it seems like they would be hard to shoot.<br /><br />3) How big are the bears? Hight, weight, etc. Do you preserve the hides for rugs or have them mounted for display? Also, are there cases of bears attacking people up there? Is the bear population big?<br /><br />Ok Ken, I guess that's about all. Thanks for the info. Peace brother.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: GaugeGuy

Hey Wes,<br />I never was really into bear hunting, but there are a lot of them around here so one year I bought a bear tag and got one and was immediately addicted.<br /><br />Bear season starts here 9/1 and it is still pretty warm. Because of the thick coat they have this time of year, time is of the essence after downing one. They have to be field dressed immediately and then they have to be shown to a dnr officer. Then the hide comes off and off to the butcher.<br /><br />A lot of people do not like the taste of bear meat, and I (and everyone I have ever given some to) don't understand why. I get steaks and stew meat from it. I marinate it and it melts in your mouth. My wife who is not a big meat eater, loves bear meat (and is not fond of venison). A bear carries a lot of fat, because they hibernate and need that fat. The butcher takes care of that and the cuts I get back have little fat on them.<br /><br />Bears are actually closer to a pig than a dog. The adrenaline rush I get after shooting a bear with my bow is incredible. I get the adrenaline shakes really bad, teeth chatter, the whole nine yards. It is better than any drug, honestly. Bears are very cute, especially the cubs when they are the size of a small dog. I make every effort to take only boars as the sows are pregnant and usually have either small cubs or yearlings in tow.<br /><br />The adult black bears here go between 150-400 pounds. My biggest was 242 pounds. Standing on his back legs he was easily 7' tall. Walking on all fours he was about 36" at the shoulder and as big around as a 55 gal drum. His front claws are over 3" long.<br /><br />He is now a mount in my den, it's pretty impressive. It's a half mount, his mouth is open and his arms are extended with his hooks exposed.<br /><br />I will never, ever hunt over bait or use a rifle to take one. It's kind of like cheating. I do hunt in (around) an orchard which is a food source but it isn't the same. I am into the "fair chase" thing. <br /><br />We may get 1 bear attack a year around here. Usually campers who don't look after their food, or someone who gets too close to a sow with her cubs. They aren't like gizzlies, you can't play dead with a black. If you try, you will be dead. You have to stand up to them, make noise and back away SLOWLY...and a can of pepper spray is a big help.<br /><br />Wow, this was long...kinda shows you how "into it" I am.<br /><br />Peace SW

ndemge

Commander

That's really cool GG! Do you carry a sidearm with you incase you get just a little too close?<br />I'd hate to have one at 20 yards, graze his arm and **** him off!

SoulWinner

Commander

Ken,<br /><br />That is pretty neat. How many can you take each season? Is bear meat commercially available? I might just have to add it to the list of stuff I want to eat before I become food for worms.....

gaugeguy

Captain

Yes I do carry my .44 mag ndemge. Mainly because I walk out in the dark through the orchard and they are in there feeding. I have only had to pull it once...three years ago a young male saw me in the tree and thought I was another bear or something and decided to climb up and take a closer look (their eyesight is pretty poor). He got within 5 feet of me before he realized something wasn't right (could it have been the fact he was staring down a barrel?). They are normally very timid and will run away if they catch a whiff of a human (unless a sow is with cubs, then all bets are off).<br /><br />SW, it's illegal to sell bear here. I guess people in the far east prize the gall bladder as an aphrodesiac :confused: or something, so it isn't commercially available. We can only harvest one bear a year. If you ever make it up this way, drop me an email and I'll whip you up some grilled sirloin tips that you will never forget ;)

tylerin

Commander

You can't hunt with a sidearm here and the jawbone of all hunted bears have to be tagged and delivered to the DFG

gaugeguy

Captain

When you check your bear in here they verify sex of the bear (you have to leave those external organs on the bear) and the DNR officer removes a premolar to age the bear.<br /><br />I would love to go out west or to Alaska on a guided brown or grizzly bear archery hunt, but the wife would have a coronary if I spent 10K on a bear hunt ;)