Gauge cluster or ECU issue?

LizTina

Recruit
I have a 1998 Yamaha gp800. Got it used and ran fine when I bought it however the day I went to launch it, it wouldn’t start and sounded as if the battery was dying. Got it back home and sure enough the battery had died. Charged it up and tested it. Fully charged went to start the ski and nothing at all. No clicking or noise. Absolutely nothing. Was told by an automotive friend it was the start/stop switch so I bought a new one replaced it and still nothing. Then I was told it is the solenoid as the ski will start when the solenoid is jumped. So I bought a new one and we replaced that. Now still nothing but the ski will start when the solenoid is jumped. I was told the ECU was bad by one mechanic while another states if the ECU was bad it would not start at all…now I’m also being told my gauge cluster is bad and that is where my problem is. The gauge cluster comes on to change mode from lock to start and to enter security code but otherwise no other info is displayed. Before I go spending anymore money on parts I do not need can anyone tell me what will cause my issue and if in fact my ECU or gauge cluster are bad? Thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know much about a Yam but it sure sounds like the info your getting isn't any good. The enter security code gives me the idea the ECU needs to be reprogrammed. Need a Yam dealer to look at it with their scanner

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Worth me mentioning that having been through the very same thing…I learned quickly that these wee batteries are very fragile. Once they are compromised or ran down past a certain point…they are for the bin really. They definitely shouldn’t be compared to the robustness of your average car battery for being able to recover with a overnight charge. Before smart maintenance chargers were about (the type that you can leave connected in the garage when ski is not in use)…it was very common to have to replace these batteries once a year or not too long more. Wouldn’t rule out the chances of it being just this, that’s the issue.
Other thing that can mess things up for you..is if you or anyone else has tried to jump start the ski, using leads off another running motor