Gate Advice

eeboater

Commander
I need some advice/recommendations from the wise folks on our board here. Over the weekend, I put solid sides on my 4x8 utility trailer that I use for general purposes around the house. I am 90% done and am now confronted with what I should do about securing the rear gate. Up until now, I used a flimsy clip to hold the rear gate on. As you can see from the photo below, the rear gate was pretty light as it was just a couple 1x4's held together by two 2x4's. Well, now the sides are 1/2" plywood and much heavier. And I am afraid of leaving the gate to be secured to the back of the trailer by the two pieces of 2x4 that are stuck into the lower braces. <br /><br />What do you guys do to hold the rear gates of your trailers on? I was thinking about putting two eye bolts on each side - one on the gate and one on the side of the trailer then running a bungee across the two. But, for some reason that idea is not resonating that well for me. There was another idea of putting two guides on the inside of each wall which would allow me to physically slide the gate into place. But I am not too keen on that idea because the plywood could have the tendency to bend and as such dislodge the gate. The third option is something like this:<br /><br /> http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m...e_Code=E&Product_Code=383200&Category_Code=rb <br /><br />But OUCH - 30 bucks a piece, for something that is WAY overboard. <br /><br />Any Ideas?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Sean<br /><br />
1454391-trailer.jpg

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Gate Advice

I have the same exact trailer!<br /><br />I either use bungee cords or put some screws into the boards where they go into the pockets in the trailer.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

Are you ever concerned about something sliding back and breaking the 2x4's that are in those posts? I know, the stuffs is always tied down - but I'm worried about the 1 time that the item becomes untied and slide back, BAMO out the back she goes.<br /><br />Sean

oddjob

Commander

Hi DoubleEE, You dont look like your avatar anymore....LOL<br /><br />seriously though they make a hook type bracket that is used on tractor traiter flat-beds with a fence/gate style rails. when you set the gate in place, the c-style bracket interlocks automatically. Harder you seat the gate, the harder the c-locking fixtures hold ( similar to a cam lock). Take a look at a flat bed truck or trailer to see what im talking about. It pretty standard.

oddjob

Commander

Sean, You dont need to worry about something sliding out the back end of your trailer unless you are drag racing from red light to red light. You do need to be worried about a loose object sliding foward and then crashing though the rail.<br /><br /> As long as you drive like reasonably you will be fine. You have to drive as if you have no breaks. Dont follow others too close. Acelerate evenly. Avoid hard stops and be prepared to slow often.<br /><br />No matter how well you strap or tie things down, you have to drive careful and recheck the load often on long trips. Stuff is going to shift as you bump and drive along. The more you pay attention to it and correct as you go you will eventually figure the best way it secure any situation. I hope I helped.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I ties my stuff down so tight, it never budges. I drive my father nuts cause I use tons of rope and keep a close eye on stuff. I pull over if anything looks even remotely like it is loose.<br /><br />Those 2x4s are pretty strong, they can take a good whack.<br /><br />Oh yea, I forgot to mention I have L brackets that attach the front to the sides. I have hook/eye latches that atached the back to the sides. Then I tie everything down tight to the frame (not the wood). I just use drywall screws to hold all the wood together, it is easy to screw and unscrew as required.<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

Don't worry about the load sliding, just get a sign saying "Not Responsible for objects that slide off" The Stone trucks have them now. :D :D :confused:

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is what I've used since 1987. Yes, the bottom of the 2x4 is pinned through the bracket and frame. That was done to prevent the sides from pulling up if I tie down a large object.<br /><br />
dsc_004.jpg

eeboater

Commander

Zod - what are those metal brackets you have towards the top? Where did you get them?

oddjob

Commander

Those are those c-clamp thing a ma gigs I was trying to describe for you....

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> Those are those c-clamp thing a ma gigs I was trying to describe for you....
OOOhhhhh ok!!! <br /><br /><----------- Idiot <br /><br />So, where can I find em? Do you think Home Depot will have em?<br /><br />Sean

oddjob

Commander

I looked at a bunch of truck accessary places on the net but I cant find it or the name of it. I looked at Northern Hydraulic's site ( just google it ) and it looks like they have everything but I cant search it for lack of the name of it. Hopefully Zod knows...I gotta run.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, www.northerntool.com<br />Item # 12725 & item # 12726, left and right hand brackets. On sale now $2.99 each. :) <br /><br />The top hat is at the same level as the bed on my pickup. The camper shell, with "redneck" rollers and teflon pad slides on and off the pickup bed, cuz I'm too old and too short to reach it!<br /><br />
dsc_007.jpg

eeboater

Commander

Perfect - thank you Zod!!! That will work GREAT!<br /><br /><br />Also, thanks OJ -

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:) <br /><br />Enjoy that trailer, just don't overload it, too much.