gasoline vs diesel

RAZORFISH51

Recruit
am looking at 1980-1994 28-34'fishing boat. I know twin diesels are more expensive and easier on fuel but what are advantages if any of twin gasoline IB. Notice a lot of boats with gasoline IB. Any recommendations on HP or manufacture?

magster65

Commander
Re: gasoline vs diesel

Unlike stern drives (I/O) there are aren't any specific brands to avoid when shopping for an inboard set-up, they're all quite reliable. Most of the commercial boats are using twin disc gear so I gather that must be one of the better ones. Gas engines are better in the fact they have a broad range of usable rpm... 650 to 4500. They're also far less expensive to replace when it comes time. If I were shopping for a boat that size and weight I'd prefer a diesel for the economy alone. Even though you'll be going slower you'll enjoy the whole trip with a big smile on your face thinking about the fuel you're not burning.

John Boelte

Cadet

Diesels are ideal for boats. Especially when you add turbochargers. :D However, they are expensive to purchase and heavy maintenance. They do last a long time and are efficient. Maintenance is the key to longevity with any machine.<br /><br />Many large boats have impressive speeds; don't worry about a diesel boat being slow. All it takes is power!

Stanp

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 31' silverton with 350 crusader engines. THats a 454 ci GM block putting out 350hp. Crusaders are the best gas engines built. Crusader uses GM's heavy duty 4 bolt main enigines unlike Merc. I have 1500 hrs on mine and still run stong off the Cape May coast. Generally, its cost prohibited to have diesels in boats smaller than 35'. Gas engines are pushed to the limits on boats larger than 35'. I recommend you read the gas vs diesel debate on www.yachtsurvey.com and get professional advice from an experienced surveyor.

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd go with diesel engine eyes closed!<br />More reliable, less fuel. It will run forever with proper maintenance. I say stay away from I/O type, more problematic.. Outboard engines are neraly fool proof. All depends on $$$ you want to spend and what you want to do with it...

Dunaruna

Admiral

If money isn't an issue, diesel wins hands down.<br /><br />Modern units are quieter, extremely economical and no 'kaabooom' worries.<br /><br />The most problematic area is the fuel system. Regular maintenance is the key.<br /><br />Aldo

achris

More fish than mountain goat

3 things to remember with diesels, filters, filters and filters. In that order.<br /><br />For me, diesels every time. I even have a diesel car!<br /><br />Chris............