Gasoline - How old is 'too old'?

mshirley

Cadet
I'm trying to fix an idle problem in my caport, I'm running gas that has been in the tank about 4 to 5 months. I'm wondering if that could be part or all of my idle/carb problem. Is this too old? How can I tell if the gas is okay?

ob

Admiral
Re: Gasoline - How old is 'too old'?

Yes , thats too old ,even if stabilized.

mshirley

Cadet

Thanks for the reply OB, after I change the gas should I remove and clean the carb again? (I just did that today but ran it about 25 mins afterwards with old gas). How long should gas remain in the tank before being dumped? This engine does not require oil being mixed with the gas if that makes any difference.

ob

Admiral

No need to remove and clean carbs again unless you suspect particulates from old gas entered. Filter should catch any three demensionals that would restrict carb orifices.would recommend draining old fuel from carbs before trying with fresh.

mshirley

Cadet

ob: I will drain it and flush it out with fresh fuel, thanks for your help.

mshirley

Cadet

To All: I would still like to know 'how old is too old' when it comes to gasoline?

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Smell it. If it smells like anything (varnish) other than gas dump it.<br />Never heard of predetermined shelf life.

Mike NZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3 months is about max but there are a lot of variables, a good nose seems to be the best diagnostic tool available.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

That's odd! I store my boat every winter for about 6 Months, stabilize the fuel and have never had a problem with the fuel. Maybe it's the climate where you live and fuel that you use that determines how long it will last. I've haerd it's good for a year, if stabilized. Hum!

BillP

Captain

I doubt your motor problem is old fuel but might be water accumulation in the tank from sitting.<br /><br />According to some research I did a long time ago, gas STARTS loosing octane at three months and the gas companies say it is good for a year. Kinda makes me wonder why Sta-Bil is only good for 15 months. Who knows how old it is before getting into your tank though.<br /><br />From my own experience in various outboards & inboards, 6-8 month old gas doesn't show any difference in performance. If it evaporates and leaves crap that's another subject, which is why I don't run the carbs dry either...also another subject. <br /><br />Be aware that down here in Florida many, many boats are stored for 6-8 months by annual winter visitors and degraded gas isn't a problem. They top the tank off and go home until next winter, then return, crank the engines and go.<br /><br />I always top off with high octane if I know the rig will sit for a few months. After 6 mos or so I drain and start with new fuel anyway. Also, when away cruising, my cars sat for a year at a time and never had a problem with year old fuel. They started and ran like new. Did this several years without problems. <br /><br />I sure would like to see something current in writing from the gas companies ...does anyone have that data?

ob

Admiral

My personal reasoning with fuel in any engine fuel tank stored for months is that if there is a possibility of it being old or contaminated why take the risk for a few gallons of gas at 1.40 a gallon.

sloopy

Commander

am I the only one here who has never had bad gas?