Gasoline Additive - New Product Question

Omega-1

Seaman
There is a new gasoline additive called Star brite Startron, which is an enzyme. Star Brite indicates that it will provide several good benefits to gasoline as an additive, among which are: Increase fuel economy up to 15%; extend storage life of gas fuel up to about a year; reduces carbon buildup and lowers exhaust emissions. <br />Here are my questions: <br />1. Has anyone had any experience with this product?<br />2. Have you verified the claims on its performance?<br />3. Do you think that the use of this additive is cost effective? If so, why?<br /><br />I have been using it for about a month in my 2003 HPDI Yamaha 200 hp VMax O/B engine. Presently, going offshore I am getting about 3.5 to 4 nm per gallon of fuel. A few days ago I went offshore, traveling some 74 nm round trip, and spent a lot of time, about 2 hours, drift fising and repositioning with my engine running all the while. I used up 22 gallons of fuel that day. I'm wondering if this is the usual expected fuel usage with this engine or if the Startron additive has been of any benefit?<br /><br />I would appreciate any comments on this issue. Thanks.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Gasoline Additive - New Product Question

Originally posted by Omega-1:<br />Increase fuel economy up to 15%
This alone all but proves it is BS. If it had any noticeable effect what so ever on fuel mileage everybody and their dog would be using it. <br /><br />
Originally posted by Omega-1:<br />extend storage life of gas fuel up to about a year
I store fuel over a year without additives of any kind without issues all the time.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Omega-1:<br />reduces carbon buildup and lowers exhaust emissions.
If that was true the EPA would mandate that it be part of every fuel sold in the US.