gaskets and seals - 1973 70hp

GKevinR

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1973 70hp 707hf. I need a water pump gasket. i also need an o-ring/seal/gasket that goes between the the propeller shaft housing and the upper part it mates to. the seal is tear drop shaped and has a round seal inside it. i'm sorry i dont know what to call it and i cant find it on a parts diagram.

anyone know part #s for these two? Thanks. Kevin

Nordin

Commander
Maybe this site will have it, but try Franz Marine he will have if they a re available.
Mastertech Marine is another source.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The Mercury company bought Force/Chrysler
The parts are listed under Mercury then divided into sub groups.

Mercury part#s

GASKET $2
Item #: F84031

Mercury

O RING $10
Item #: F316555

GKevinR

Seaman Apprentice
on the o-ring, it looked like it was one part but it had a circular shape within a tear drop shape, which matches the channel it sits in. is it actually two o-rings, one inside the other? the tear drop follows the contour of the gear box. the circular one seals off the opening where the gears meet. it looked like it was one part originally, but i cant find it anywhere. see attached drawing.

Attachments

• oring.png
    oring.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The part #s I gave you are one oring and one gasket
It's the teardrop shape you need. It's actually round but when installed it takes the shape you need. #20 in the pic and #7 for the gasket.
1603099411468.png

GKevinR

Seaman Apprentice
perfect. last question: the round opening where the gears mesh has a channel around it that looks like a seal would go there as well. the diagram isnt showing another seal. do i need to seal it with gasket sealer? seems unlikely they would create the channel if nothing went in it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No other seals.
Not sure about the area your talking
about, add a pic of the area where you
think the sealer should go.
Sealer or grease goes on the o-ring
I said on not under, under can make the
o-ring lift up.