Gasket under power head leaking water

kwerdal

Cadet
I have a 1989 200GT and i just got it started today and it runs fine but I found some epoxy ay the power head base so i pryed it off and there is a blown gasket there that shoots water out how hard is it to change?

Kevin

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gasket under power head leaking water

By looking at the parts breakdown, it looks like you just remove powerhead and replace the gasket.

kwerdal

Cadet

do the lower covers come off pretty easy? looke like its not to bad to get to if you have those off

Kevin

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1989 200GT and i just got it started today and it runs fine but I found some epoxy ay the power head base so i pryed it off and there is a blown gasket there that shoots water out how hard is it to change?

Kevin

That's why someone put the epoxy there !!!! Put some back in there and go boating.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I have seen this several times and usually someone has swapped powerheads with a newer model head, it seems to always leak water usually on port front side but i have seen both sides leak. The part number is different on plate in 1992 and up powerheads but mounting gaskets are the same:confused:, I have laid a newer next to older and seen nothing outstanding different other than some water access plugs.

kwerdal

Cadet

Okay i put some JB weld on it took it to the lake.. no water out the Pee hole.. came home removed the lower unit and checked the impeller looks like new! shot water up the brass tube with the hose.. water filled then runs out the exhaust but not the pee hole.. what the heck is going on? is the bad gasket dumping water in the wrong place? it does shoot warm water out the exhaust when running but not the pee hole

Kevin

jbjennings

Captain

Have you checked to see that the water tube that goes to the indicator hole is not stopped up? It's common for dirt daubers and such to take a liking to that tube. Run some weed eater line up the indicator hole and see what happens.:)
Good luck with it. I know you're looking forward to planing it out!:p If it's blowing water out the exhaust it should be pumping water enough to at least come out the indicator hole if it's unstopped.
JBJ

kwerdal

Cadet

I blew in it with my mouth seemed like it was clear.. it goes to some funny valve that tied in with the throttle. I think it is pumping okay I am just afraid to run it with out knowing for sure.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That valve is the water control valve, do you have a water pressure guage? There is a elbow on the port side by #2 cylinder below powerpack and it has a small 1/4 line atached to it. Remove line and with engine running water should exit elbow at a good pressure, if not block is not filling with water. Do the water update to it, order 2 t-stats,covers,springs gaskets for a 1986 70hp, throw all your existing stuff away,plug adapter plate hose, do away with water valve and run indicator to pee hose. Both sides will now run within 20 degrees of each other and will idle & cool better.

kwerdal

Cadet

I do have a water pressure gauge.. and there is no water coming out just a few drops while running do you happen to have the iboats part numbers for the items you mentioned?

Kevin

kwerdal

Cadet

Okay so I broke down and took to the local shop.. cast me $309 but the fixed the gasket and got my water flowing (dirt dobbers and sea shells blocking the T stat passages). had the boat out today ran about 54 mph on the speedo will stay on plane down to about 22 mph so far so good my son and I did a little fishing tonight I need to get all the little stuff fixed now live wells and drains etc. Thanks for all the help guys!