gasket sealers

ArneA

Seaman
I would like to know if an automotive gasket sealer will be ok to use on the head gasket of an AD10. No marine stores near me but I do have auto parts stores. Also don't know if gasket sealer is needed or not. I have a second gasket for mounting the power head and dont know if sealer is used there either. If anyone has a repair manual that indicates if sealer should be used or not , kindly advise me. If permatex or some other sealer can be used I would like to know if that is acceptable.
Thank you.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: gasket sealers

the gasket that is between the powerhead and the midsection is usually sticky of its own.... for head gaskets i always used indian shellac, others will have dif opinions... listen to them instead of me.

Sean

sutor623

Rear Admiral

the gasket that is between the powerhead and the midsection is usually sticky of its own.... for head gaskets i always used indian shellac, others will have dif opinions... listen to them instead of me.

Sean

+ 1 on this. The powerhead gasket is VERY sticky, you do not need anything. I actually have never used any type of sealant on my head gaskets either.:confused: I always figured that if you follow the torq specs and torquing patterns you'd be just fine......

Haffiman

Commander

Whatever you use, just stay away from any types of silicone sealant like RTV etc. If a plain head gasket, no factory sealant applied, use the BRP Sealing Compound or Loc Tite Aviation. The main reason is not to add 'sealing' but to prevent any water seeping between the gasket and block parts. Use the same sealant on head bolts and all bolts going into cast alu parts. It will 'lubricate' during installation, and prevent water going in later on starting corrosion.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

What motor your working on would help to know also dont ever use silicone

boobie

Supreme Mariner

After you clean up the head bolt threads and the threads in the block, the head bolts should be installed dry. If you use any kind of sealer or lube it can screw up the torque settings.

nwcove

Admiral

isnt assembly lube necessary to get accurate torque values? its standard practice for automobile engine rebuilds.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just for the heck of it, look up and see what OMC service manuals say. And yes I did cheat when putting a mtr together. I used to put a very lite coating of wd-40 on the threads as it made me feel better.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys
Im sitting on a boat offshore with two marine ENGINEERS who both say critical bolts such as head bolts MUST be lubricated in order to achieve a designated torque. Absolutly DO NOT USE A SEALANT ON BOLTS! Something like a light wd is fine or better Loctite makes a compound spec. for this appl. but do not saturate threads. Hydrolock problems can occur.
Head gaskets I knew...go on dry.
Power head usually sticky

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Damn, and I just put my head bolts on dry...oh well
and BTW too cool the boat I'm on has its own cell tower amps so I got full voice and data in middle of BFE!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

We are assuming he purchased the head gasket from the dealer. If you did, it should be shiny. The shiny, new head gaskets do not require anything on them.

ArneA

Seaman

We are assuming he purchased the head gasket from the dealer. If you did, it should be shiny. The shiny, new head gaskets do not require anything on them.
Ok,,today I drove to 5 auto parts stores to find loctite aviation sealer for my gaskets....No one had that brand but NAPA had something called "Aviation Form-A Gasket Sealant Liquid" It is in a 4 oz container with a cap and brush for application...Is this the same as Loctite Aviation.? Hope so because I had to take all the gaskets off tonight because I had the RTV sealers on them. Now have to get new gaskets and want to use the right stuff.
Thank you.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

No sealer on gaskets!!! Just torque bolts from inside out and according to spec

Haffiman

Commander

Used to attend a yearly course in Belgium some years back when OMC was still in business, every year the same:
Be sure to not save on the use of Sealing Compound!! The only gaskets exempted were the ones with a pre equipped Red/Black RTV type sealing stripe on them. Even the 'sticky' ones with pre coated Sealing Compound from factory - a thin fresh coat of Sealing Compound will never hurt!! As for bolt lubrication, use Sealing Compound on head bolts and all bolts into casting material as water pump screws, power head screws, exhaust cover screws,+++++. Exempted crank case bolts, intake bolts and those were Loc Tite were specified in the manual.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I personally think your right on gasket sealant. Not hurting but my engineers I'm w and two Johnson dealers say no sealant on gaskets.
However these guys do forensics on failures etc and say next to. Corrosion and improper torque, use of sealants and loctite is reason for broken off bolts. The hydraulics involved between threads is very detremental. I have to agree. But an intended lubricant is necessary for proper torque. The bolts aren't going anywhere if that's achieved.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No Sealer on Gaskets? I dont agree with that and neither does OMC. Why would they make OMC Gasket Sealing Compound then? LOL

The new shiny gaskets do not require sealer, as they have it "built in" per se. But I doubt addin some would harm anything(not that I do but know some cheap buggers that re use gaskets by adding sealer). I put the OMC Gasket Sealing Compound on the head bolts, water pump bolts, and about any gasket that I make or cut off a roll that is not on the intake side, ie carb.

When in doubt, refer to the factory service manual for the best advice.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I guess I am referring to shiny gaskets cuz thats what I use. I give lol

ArneA

Seaman

Dont ya just love this fourm...We have engineers that say not to use gasket sealer on head bolts and gaskets..Then we have OMC making gasket sealer just for fun. Some say do and some say dont. So back to my second question. Is the permatex aviation form a gasket sealant liquid the same stuff as loctite aviation. I am assuming so as their descriptions are almost word for work...Living out in the sticks I would have to purchase loctite aviation from the net.. Yesterday I went into town to several auto parts stores looking for loctite aviation and no one carried that brand, however, I was able to get the permatex aviation from a NAPA store. To use or not to use. By the way, what is an "intended lubricant" as posted by the Petty officer 2nd class.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Dont ya just love this fourm...We have engineers that say not to use gasket sealer on head bolts and gaskets..Then we have OMC making gasket sealer just for fun. Some say do and some say dont. So back to my second question. Is the permatex aviation form a gasket sealant liquid the same stuff as loctite aviation. I am assuming so as their descriptions are almost word for work...Living out in the sticks I would have to purchase loctite aviation from the net.. Yesterday I went into town to several auto parts stores looking for loctite aviation and no one carried that brand, however, I was able to get the permatex aviation from a NAPA store. To use or not to use. By the way, what is an "intended lubricant" as posted by the Petty officer 2nd class.

Loctite makes a thread lubricant compound but it would be hard to find short of ordering on net.
you can call me todd and yes the forum can get interesting but best of all very informative. I have learned much!!!