Gasket sealer on carb gasket?

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to install a rebuilt carb on a 3.0L Volto Penta GSP-A engine. Should I use permatex or something on the gaskets? Also the spacer block that goes under the carb looks like there is not alot of surface area to seal to the gasket (and there are cavities that can accumulate fuel). Are any tricks to get this right? (I have the OEM gaskets and manual) I am installing both gaskets (above and below the spacer) and I have cleaned off the old gasket material on the manifold.

Thanks,
Fred

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gasket sealer on carb gasket?

Should I use permatex or something on the gaskets?

Typically the common statement is no.

there is not much vacuum pressure on the gaskets, and some indicate the sealant may leak stuff that will impact the sensors.

I do on the lowers, because they have water passages.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree...The carb base gaskets always go on dry..

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Typically the common statement is no.

there is not much vacuum pressure on the gaskets, and some indicate the sealant may leak stuff that will impact the sensors.

I do on the lowers, because they have water passages.

What sensors?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

eagh.... i'll catch flak for this but...
I always brush on a very thin layer of perfect seal on both sides of the gasket.

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The HOLLEY Card installation instructions say use a good silicone based sealant. Hope that's not wrong as I did that on both carbs and spacer gaskets.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The HOLLEY Card installation instructions say use a good silicone based sealant. Hope that's not wrong as I did that on both carbs and spacer gaskets.

It won't hurt anything...;)