Gas

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a tank of mixed gas (10 gal.) that has been sitting for six months. Is it safe to run this gas through my engine? Its an 1984 75 horse merc. I did not add any fuel stabilizer to the gas thinking I would use it up in a couple of weeks. If I had added fuel stabilizer would the gas be good after six months? <br /><br />Thanks for your help.

MadeMercMan

Recruit
Re: Gas

I had the same problem once. Had 5 gallons for the dirtbike. Sat there for a year. Didn't really know what the heck to do with it. So I left it there. Probably still there in fact. Point is.. with all the stuff that could possibly go wrong with your boat.... spend the 20 bucks on some fresh gas. Toss the other crap into your weed eater or leaf blower. Malatov cocktails. Arson. Outside of combuston engines, gasoline is pretty worthless. In fact, you would have to pay someone to take it off your hands.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the response mademercman Ill just get rid of it somewhere, the possibilities are endless.......the neighbors fence, junky cars, everything burns when you pour gas on it ;) .

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Fuel mixed with oil has a lifspan of about 6 months, maximum. If the weather is a bit hotter, it's a lot shorter. If the fuel smells sour, then toss it. If not, then you can put it in the car, buy fresh stuff for the boat.<br /><br />Chris...........