gas tank vapor lock, solutions??

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To the boat out this afternoon, ran about 20 min and died out - somewhere in my memory remembored to check the gas tank, unscreewed the cap, the tank sucked in a big gulp of air and all was good in the world. Is this cap reparable?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: gas tank vapor lock, solutions??

The little knob on top unscrews to vent the tank, Molsenice. A wire probe should be able to clear it if it is blocked.<br /><br />If there is no vent on the cap you have the wrong cap.<br /><br />If you just forgot to open it, write yourself a note about it.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

learn somthing new everyday, talked with pop, he remembers the problem and his solution (unknown to me) was to switch the caps when he switched tanks - I just about LMAO. Thanks a bunch - will check it out tomorrow as I left the boat at the shop (schools out). will let you know.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well JB that was is - told the other shop teacher, this morning, unscrewed the little knob and out the built up gas vapors came. Told him Pop's solution and we have been rolling around laughing for the last 20 min! He told me it is the same setup as his gas ice auger. - thanks again

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

I think the gas tank vent is like leaving the the drain plug out when you launch the boat--everybody has to do it once!

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did that once to! - back in the fifth grade - 1st time ever out with the boat, we started the boat in full throttle - ran up onto the dock - then after getting it off the dock, realized we had 6ins of water in the boat - we still laugh over that one - told Pop - he started laughing too.