Gas tank question

Crazyju

Seaman
I have a 24 pontoon and looking to put a larger tank on it. How far away can I place the tank?
I would like to put it in the middle of the boat about 10ft from motor. (1984 60 hp evinrude).
Too far?

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas tank question

That distance should not be a problem.

Crazyju

Seaman

Should the primer bulb be located at tank or near engine?

Crazyju

Seaman

Seems i -boats sells lengths of 10' or 50'. Anywhere that sells by the foot?

Crazy,

You can buy all the parts (fuel connectors, line, primer bulb, clamps, etc.) for your fuel system separately and make your own custom set-up for your new tank location. You should be able to buy fuel line by the foot. Just make sure you get fuel line approved for Ethanol fuels and the correct sized/type fittings. I recommend using 3/8" fuel line for the entire system for best flow. Most stock lines are 5/16".

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any auto store like NAPA and Auto Zone will have what you need. Hose barbs can be obtained at Lowes in the plumbing dept. Since the fuel tank is above the engine, the outlet at the tank must have an anti-siphon valve to prevent fuel siphoning should a leak occur. An anti-siphon valve looks like this and is available here on iBoats. Although it looks like a standard hose barb, it has a spring loaded check ball inside to block the flow of fuel should a siphon situation arise. The fuel pump is strong enough to overcome the slight spring tension.

antisiphonvalve.jpg

Crazyju

Seaman

Thanks for all the responses. Never would have thought about the anti- siphon. After measuring last night the run is going to be closer to 14ft. Is this too far. How far could i go with this outboard?

Thanks

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curious, why do you want to move it so far forward?

Crazyju

Seaman

Well I picked up a brand new 50 gallon moeller tank for 20$ And with the way the seats are laid out, I cant put it in the back.

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I picked up a brand new 50 gallon moeller tank for 20$ And with the way the seats are laid out, I cant put it in the back.

Holy crap! How far are you wanting to go on a tank of gas? :p That'd last a month of normal weekend use lol. Good thinking on the middle because it'll weigh over 300lbs full.

Crazyju

Seaman

I do planning on taking a few 100 mile camping trips up and down the TN river. I wont have to stop and fill up as often.

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sounds like a good time :)

Also if you have a wood deck you should make sure it's supported well. Make sure it's sitting on crossmembers or add in some aluminum L-channel support underneath IMO. Thats alot of weight in one spot. Also remember it's going to knock over 300lbs (fuel and weight of tank) off your load capacity.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That was a heck of a deal on a 50 gallon tank! The 14ft should be no problem at all.
West Marine sells fuel line by the foot as well as many dealers.Napa would be the first place to check.

Crazy,

This might be a silly question but where on a pontoon boat are you going to put this tank? You said in the middle, but where exactly? In the middle of the deck/floor? Is there a subfloor area you are going to use so that the tank will be below the deck? Are you putting it underneath the deck between the pontoons? Or is your boat a fiberglass deck boat? With space below the deck?

Crazyju

Seaman

No this will be going on the deck. it is 45" long so it will catch three cross members. I might add some additional angle iron for support. It will be put into a 7ft rod locker.

Crazyju

Seaman

Another question. I am planning to vent the tank out the side. Do they make a bulk head fitting for this?

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any reputable boat shop should have the fitting and make sure you use aluminum instead of iron for support if you add it. Alot less weight and won't rust. Some 3/16" or 1/4" thick L brackets would work great.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

your vent and fill need to be higher than the deck but not over it. Maybe route hoses below deck and up through floor under a seat then out the side a foot or so above deck..... the rod box should be vented on the bottom and fairly well sealed off on top

Expidia

Commander

Interesting project. Please post some pics when you get it all done.

I wouldn't have thought about that check valve either for an above deck installation Good info.
That will sure save a potential headache down the river.