Gas tank question

terry2626

Seaman
I have a 1963 johnson super sea horse electramatic 40 hp Model # RK-25. I was wondering what kind of tank does this outboard take?is it the pressurized tank or not? I am trying to find a metal tank to replace the one my grandfather lost or threw out. any help would be great thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gas tank question

when you look at the gas fitting does it have 2 or 3 post,

tashasdaddy

send me a email i'll send you pictures of the ends. 'tashasdaddy@comcast.net'.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Its a single line. They didn't have pressure tanks on those motors. You are probly looking at the gas prong, and the clip prong. Plus another thats a guide. I have the same motor, only a 63 40HP Evinrude Selectric in my stash out back. Just went out and checked. Standard Johnson fittings, so any boat store, even Walmart has the hose. You will need a tank, and any plastic tank will work. but Metal might be a Ebay iten. Theres some clean ones out there. You will just need the Johnson fitting for the tank if you do plastic. Then your set! Good Luck!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hey Rick, think ya can find a longer link? 8)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I wish I knew how to do it the old way where you could just name your link.....Kinda long, ain't it??8)

terry2626

Seaman

Thanks guys for the help. I looked at ebay for the metal tanks, but they looked all crappy. Does anyone know where to get a metal tank in great to new shape with out costing me my first born?

tashasdaddy

terry your looking for a 50 year old part. you be luck to find a great one. if you do it may cost the 1st & 2nd born. some one on the site is rebuild about 10 of them, he was looking for parts.

i,m soooo confused !!! can't even read apost correctly.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Well, I didn't see a steel one at IBoats store, so I will tell you that Bass Pro Shops has them for a $100 new