Gas Tank cleaning- How safe is it to do?

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've posted several discussions regrding my 140 VRO bogging down at WOT<br />Found a loose connection of tubing running from <br />gas intake nipple to inline fuel filter. <br />Now engine runs more cosistantly correct at WOT-<br />and when it does bog down (still does but not as much) it runs at 5000 rpm instead of 3500-4000.<br />(when running correct-6000-6200 rpms)<br />Still sounds like its trying to kick in all the way<br />New sympton developed- One time it went from lower<br />speed to high speed at MUCH! slower delayed rate.<br />When it got there (WOT) it ran smooth<br />So there is an improvement. I was advised to cleanout the filter on the pickup tube inside the gas tank.Since this boat is a 1977 Formula- the tank is 25+ years old. Saw the line leading from the tank to the fuel separator but I'm scared <br />to fool around with possible spark/gas.<br />One thing to mention- 3 wees ago I emptied about 3 <br />gallons of gas from the tank by pumping the primer bulb to correct gas/water problem. Wouldn't I have noticed a diminished gas flow if the filter was clogged? Thanks for your advice

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas Tank cleaning- How safe is it to do?

Usually if the line is restricted between the tank dip tube and bulb the bulb will tend to collapse.If it doesnt then you still have a problem from bulb to carb(s),Sucking air,plugged filter(s),Bad fittings or connectors.Fuel pump,Pulse port,Pulse port hose ,if any, and of<br />course the carb.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gas Tank cleaning- How safe is it to do?

Replace the filter in the water seperator and clean the carbs. <br /><br />It is safe to work around the gas tank if you take the normal precautions. If you have to drain it put a hose through the transom plug hole and into the tank by removing the sending unit for the fuel guage and siphon the gas out.