Gas Prices

Todd Humphreys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To what extreme will you go to stay on the water with higher gas prices. If gas continues to rise what will you sacrifice to stay on the water. Example: beer; cigs; wife; dog; iboats :D

rwise

Captain
Re: Gas Prices

Already getting rid of the wife! Looking for a smaller tow vehicle now, and I'll use the trolling motor much more. Oh, the dog is the wifes, don't smoke, don't drink often. where is that article about turning trash into alcohol?

one more cast

Captain

It only cost me the price of few gallons of gas when I go fishing and that has only been a few times all summer so its not effecting me much. I was looking back on old posts from a year or so ago about gas prices and quite a few iboaters said higher gas prices were no big deal. What a change of tune now that gas is pushing $3 a gallon.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Gas has recently hit the eqiuvalent of $8.50/gal here.<br />I've given up eating,drinking,breathing,big cars,swearing and everything else.<br /><br />I'm now considering selling the dog into the slave trade and getting the girlfriend to join me on the treadmill that currently powers our refridgerator.<br /><br />But seriously, it's a shame that your gas prices are going through the roof. I hope you guys don't end up in the situation we are in in the UK where boating is a privelege reserved for those with more money than sense-and a few rednecks like me that can do it all ourselves.We are a very small minority though.<br />Look at the professions listed on most UK boating forums and you'll see what I mean-it's all IT people,managers and business owners.

ZmOz

Captain

At the moment I'm pricing a new 454 for my truck, and looking for a boat with a big block to replace my outboard. Mmmmmmm...gasoline.... :D <br /><br />I am strongly considering putting a 6.2L diesel in a 70s Corvette...a bolt in that would probably get 40+MPG without having to drive around a gay little import. ;)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Zmoz-get me a hat-if you can get 40+MPG from a 6.2l diesel I'll eat it.<br /><br />My last 2.8 litre diesel 4x4 was getting 26mpg@56mph-and it weighed less than a 'vette.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

They must be driving that in top gear on tickover to get that kind of gas mileage....

ndemge

Commander

Drive almost 80 miles round trip each day for work. Currently at $190 a month for gas.<br /><br />..Currently looking for a Geo Metro, 45mpg will Save me over $65 a month. easily pay for it's own payment/insurance/repairs