gas price relief..

crab bait

Captain
can wait for election time.. can't get here fast enuff..imho.. <br /><br />an it ain't even summer yet..

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
Re: gas price relief..

Crab bait you must have read the MSN news report! I'm not willing to hold my breath. I'll believe it when I see it.<br /><br />And what are you nuts. Were just getting into boating season and you what foul weather again. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Thats right believe it when you see it.<br />Gas prices will only begin to descend when the dollar ascends in value.

mattttt25

Commander

i just paid $2.44 on the water in downtown annapolis yesterday. i stopped at 20 gallons when i began to cry.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At one of the stations here it just went DOWN to 1.62 9/10 for 87 octane. I hope that is a trend.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I went out 3 weeks ago and paid $3.98 on the water. I bought only 2 gallons, enough to get me to the ramp.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

I'm paying $3.10 US per Gallon (on land) for 94 Octane right now...

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Just filled up about twenty minutes ago, $1.65 per gal.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

$1.71 here. I'm still waiting on the $.50 per gal gas from Iraq.

ob

Admiral

I hope somebody gets a grip on the fuel costs soon or high gas prices are going to drive the price of goods to an irreversible hike.$1.65 here in south Texas today for 87.While we down here are enjoying some of the lowest prices in the country , the trend is still the same.<br /><br />The wife ,my daughter,and I are planning a 10 day trip through the midwest this summer and are doing our fuel cost calculations on around $2.25 a gallon.Hope we ain't undershooting . :(

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Think I will dust off the ol buggy and go back to the horse and buggy a while.<br /><br />Have to call and see if I can get a hitch put on it to pull the boat with. ;)

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a little diesel car a few weeks ago because of gas prices. With me delivering pizzas and having to pay for all of my own gas, it was really eating a BIG hole in my pocket. Not to mention the decrease in tips. I've been paying between $1.57 an $1.61 a gallon for diesel. Along with the increased mileage I get, it's just about the equivalent of paying about $0.79 a gallon for gas to feed my truck. I should have bought that a year ago LOL :D . Now if I can just get my Biodiesel plant up and running ;) . McDonalds can fuel my car forever :D (Thanks for the idea SSMayfloat). Then it would be the equivalent of paying $0.40-$0.50 per gallon to fuel my truck. Also, it probrably won't drive the prices of other goods up too much. Almost all of them are transported using diesel engines. Their's no excuse for the price of gas to be what it is. They are just gouging consumers. They'll probably lower them again for a while sometime in the future. They'll almost have to. They don't want people to start selling their gas guzzlers now do they. <br /><br />James

crab bait

Captain

takes 1 gallon of diesel fuel to propell the QE-2 six inches.. <br /><br />6 inches to the gallon...<br /><br />(almost looks 'poofy' don't it )

JRJ

Commander

I paid $2.15 for diesel the other day. Glad my boat is easy on gas.....

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by jee70611.<br />
if I can just get my Biodiesel plant up and running . McDonalds can fuel my car forever (Thanks for the idea SSMayfloat).
Can used motor oil be consumed in the same manner by a diesel engine?

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Elmer,<br /><br />I'm not sure on that one. I have dumped a quart of tranny fluid in just before filling up to clean the injectors. It may work if the engine had a high enough compression ratio. Also the viscosity could be a problem. The oil might not atomize properly or even at all. You can actually run a diesel off of straight vegetable oil though(new or waste). You just have to start it and shut it off on diesel or biodiesel. They make kits to do this. The only thing about it I'm weary of is all the free fatty acids in the waste oil corroding the injection pump and injectors. That's why I would rather process it into biodiesel. You can run it with little or no modifications in any diesel engine. Plus, it's fairly easy to make. The chemicals needed to make it can be bought over the counter at almost any chemical supply store. I think standard or hybrid cars with diesel engines running on biodiesel could be the solution to the whole petoleum ordeal. Biodiesel is a 100% renewable fuel. Not only is it 100% renewable, but the emissions are reduced to nearly nothing. Supposedly, it smells good when it burns too. My uncle is a diesel mechanic and he said that it smells like cotton candy, but I've also heard that it just smells like french fries. The industry is still in it's infancy and now is the time to get started. If I only had about $100,000 to start a larger plant :D . Then I could get contracts with freight companies and make a lot of money. Almost any freight company would like to get onboard too. They can get a tax break for using alternative fuels. Here's you some sites to check out about biodiesel and straight vegetable oil: <br /><br />www.greasel.com<br />www.biodiesel.org<br />www.grassolean.com<br /> http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html <br />Here's a link to a fox news video about it: http://www.grassolean.com/video/charrisAndDaryl.wmv <br /><br />Also, here's one for your waste engine oil:<br /><br /> http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html <br /><br />You could build one of these contraptions then wrap it with water filled copper tubing. Then have a second air handler in your house and pump the hot water through the coils and heat your house all winter long. <br /><br />James

Bored To Tears

Seaman Apprentice

jeeze, that cant be right<br /><br />5280 feet to the mile<br /><br />10,560 gallons per mile????? PER MILE???<br /><br />8 pounds a gallon (well a little less) so 84,480 - call it 42 tons of fuel a mile<br /><br />so to travel across the atlantic, a 3000 mile trip, the QE2 burns 126,000 TONS of bunker<br /><br />or a mere 31,680,000 gallons ... hey how big ARE those tanks anyway???

crab bait

Captain

it's in one of those 'fun fact' sections in the paper.. <br /><br />like there 118 ridges in the rim of a dime...<br /><br />the averge american will spent 6 months of life at red lights..<br /><br />quote:: THE CRUISE LINER QE2,MOVES ONLY SIX INCHES FOR EACH GALLON OF DIESEL THAT IT BURNS..

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

Gas is CHEAP. Cancer will kill you not the price of fuel. You need to worry about medical check ups not the price of fuel. I will NEVER let the price of fuel influence what I drive or have for a boat. If the price goes up I need to work more. I never look at the price I'M glad its there. PS I burn alot of fuel. I think there should be an award for the person who burns the most fuel.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When you compare the price of bottled water from a vending machine to the price of gas, the water costs more. But people still pay for it..<br /><br />I feel that no matter what anybody does to make the economy get better, OPEC has a way of cashing in on it. It is a no win situation. :(