Gas pouring out of oil dipstick spout

Scott2020

Cadet
The OB is a 2007 9.9. It had a strong smell of gas from the oil fill, so pulled the dipstick and gas came pouting out. Must be a quart or two. I haven't used it since I changed the oil last, so I suspect that the portable plastic gas tank expanded in the heat (vent was closed on it and it was connected to the OB), forcing a good amount of gas into the carb then into the oil reservoir. Does this makes sense? Is this expected or is something not working that should have prevented this?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Drain and flush engine and check fuel pump. If tank overpressurized it either flooded engine thru carb or split the diaphragm in fuel pump

Scott2020

Cadet
Drain and flush engine and check fuel pump. If tank overpressurized it either flooded engine thru carb or split the diaphragm in fuel pump
Thank you. I did so and the motor is running fine.
Any idea how susceptible this OB is to this? If the bulb is hard and I squeeze several more times, does all this gas end up in the oil? It seems so from what I've seen since I changed the oil.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The OB is a 2007 9.9. It had a strong smell of gas from the oil fill, so pulled the dipstick and gas came pouting out. Must be a quart or two. I haven't used it since I changed the oil last, so I suspect that the portable plastic gas tank expanded in the heat (vent was closed on it and it was connected to the OB), forcing a good amount of gas into the carb then into the oil reservoir. Does this makes sense? Is this expected or is something not working that should have prevented this?

You should get in the habit of disconnecting the fuel hose from the motor.

When the plastic tank is in swollen watermelon mode, the pressure will overcome the float and needle. Eventually the crankcase fills with gas leading to what you saw. Even if gas doesn't pour out of the dipstick, your oil is thinned with the gas.

Squeezing a hard bulb to do the same as a watermeloned tank is pretty hard to do. You would have to stand on the bulb. Just squeeze until the bulb is firm, it doesn't need to be rock hard.