Gas Over Flow

Grunt_Sculpin

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, Is this normal....When I fill up with gas the pump never stops, the fuel will just keep spilling out and overflow. My friend says that this isnt normal in a car but is a boat different?

Thanks!

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gas Over Flow

If the nozzle is not all the way in, it will happen. My old boat would spill a little out the overflow (not the fill hole) before the pump would shut off.

rndn

Commander

I've had on boat that did and my current boat does not.Keep a paper towel handy and what I did was not totryyotp it off but keep it filled up to 3/4 to 7/8 going by the gas guage and tank volume. Doing this prevented most future gas spills.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

I learned the hard way on my boat that if I slow down how fast I'm filling it I will get minimal if any spill out the overflow. If I'm in a hurry and try to pump the gas fast I'm going to spend the extra time washing the gas off of mostly myself... :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Cars have fancy vapor recapturing schemes that build up some pressure as the tank fills - most pumps shut off by detecting the increasing air pressure. But boat tanks are vented direct to the atmosphere so air pressure doesn't build up - the pump mechanism doesn't detect any pressure until the fuel level is right up at the nozzle.

They keep making the pumps more & more sensitive around here, it's getting harder & harder to get six gallons in a six gallon tank - the nozzle has a shroud that has to be wrapped around the tank filler neck or else fuel won't dispense.

tommays

Admiral

Generaly if the vent is installed correctly (many are NOT mine had a 360 loop in the vent line :eek: from the factory) it will come out of the vent first

When i changed it to the route in CG guide it worked much better ;)

A big issue is that many tanks will only fill correctly when there dead level as the vent and fill inlet are at the rear of the tank and most times on the trailer the bow will be a bit high

Many times the sharp 90 DEG fill inlet will only allow a low fill rate as it catchs air farts :D and backs up

You have 1-1/2 line going in and only 5/8 line to vent the air flow which is also restricted by the spark screen in the vent

Tommays

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

With growing up around, and owning bass boats all of my life I learned early on to lift the bilge hatch and watch the tank as it fills up. Whenever it gets full I top it off.

ziggy

Admiral

I learned early on to lift the bilge hatch and watch the tank as it fills up.

actually i think yer supposed to close all hatches while fueling. after fueling, ya open them and sniff for vapors.........+ run yer blower.......

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

actually i think yer supposed to close all hatches while fueling. after fueling, ya open them and sniff for vapors.........+ run yer blower.......

Inboard engine yes; outboard not necessary.

ziggy

Admiral

Inboard engine yes; outboard not necessary.
that may be true. personaly i'd rather be safe than blowed up. + he didn't say weather it was an i/o or ob or not..............