Gas/oil sheen run-off from motor

rachelcarr08

Cadet
I have a 2003 Glastron 175sx with a Volvo Penta inboard motor.

I have noticed a sheen of oil/gas runoff when I am flushing the motor with ear muffs and fresh water, even when the engine is off & being flushed. I notice the same amount of runoff when I am flushing with ear muffs and the engine running (in the driveway).

I also notice a sheen trailing behind the boat when I am in the water and have the motor running, I can only see it when I am idle, too hard to tell if it's happening while I'm moving. Is this normal? Is something leaking? Does it need repairs or maintenance?

Thanks for your help in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
If the motor oil level is not dropping then the motor is getting to much fuel.

What motor?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check your power steering fluid level

if your power steering cooler has a leak, you will pump oil into the raw water stream

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
then look at the fuel system like AD mentioned

alldodge

Staff member
When the motor is running you should only see a bit of fuel coming from the venturi's. When motor is shut down there should be no fuel dripping from the throat of the carb

rachelcarr08

Cadet
I just went out to the driveway to test it again. Placed ear muffs and ran water, this time no sheen. I haven't used the boat in months (partly in fear that using it will cause a larger issue). So after use I see it when it's not running. But if it sits for a prolonged period of time, no sheen. ???

Boat shops are backed up until December, otherwise I would have just taken it in already.

alldodge

Staff member
Look down the throat of the carb when its running and right after its shut down to see if your seeing excess fuel

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
While you're looking at the carb, are you sure that the choke is opening? It should be a Holley carb either a 2 or 4bbl and they have electric chokes. If they don't have a constant 12V source the choke will close due to the tension of the bimetal spring and will greatly enrich the fuel mixture.
Are you sure you have no leaks from the outdrive, or trim system? Good idea to check both.

rachelcarr08

Cadet
While you're looking at the carb, are you sure that the choke is opening? It should be a Holley carb either a 2 or 4bbl and they have electric chokes. If they don't have a constant 12V source the choke will close due to the tension of the bimetal spring and will greatly enrich the fuel mixture.
Are you sure you have no leaks from the outdrive, or trim system? Good idea to check both.

I went to go investigate. Confirmed a little sheen while engine is running, turned it off and still noticed sheen. I then noticed water dripping under the bottom belt, even after I turned the water off. Could this be part of the problem? Or unrelated/separate problem? (videos attached).

Attachments

• IMG-1955.MOV
    13.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-1956 (2).MOV
    24 MB · Views: 1

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
nope that's your raw water pump that's leaking. Just water.
a sheen in the water is going to be some kind of oil or gasoline.

rachelcarr08

Cadet
Do you guys have a video/link to a photo I can reference for:
"Look down the throat of the carb when its running and right after its shut down to see if your seeing excess fuel"

rachelcarr08

Cadet
I think I found the source (or one of the sources) of the sheen. I noticed the hydraulic fluid reservoir for the motor tilt was very low and I just had it serviced and full a couple months ago. Could that be the source? What could be leaking? Any tips to locate?

alldodge

Staff member
The trim pump can leak at the manifold on the bottom of the transom assembly, any of its lines or the cylinders