Gas motor or electric motor?

ericlin0122

Cadet
Hi all,
I recently purchased an 360 (~12') SIB. I am deciding on the motor options...
Background:
This boat will go mostly on river(mostly just drift fishing) and lake. Motor will go on this boat for lake fishing, so speed doesn't really matter. Launching wheel comes with the boat. This boat will carry 1-2 people mostly.

1. Gas motor.
It takes 15hp ~ 20hp to plane. I don't have a trailer, I don't think I am going to get anything in between 15~20hp. Considering a 9.9HP mercury. Any experience on this motor? Is it too little power for the boat? Is it too much work to install the motor by myself? OR if speed is not subject, should I even just get something smaller for portability (i.e. 2.5hp)?

2. Electric motor
If I only need to get from point A to point B, should I just get an electric motor? I am considering this option too. Maybe a 55lb thrust minn kota? My only problem with trolling motor is the battery life... From what I heard, a 55lb thrust will drain the battery pretty fast. That's why I am thinking of getting a gas motor. Any experience on this?

Any input is appreciated.

Eric

JulianDave

Cadet
Re: Gas motor or electric motor?

Hi Eric,
I don't have a lot of experience either, but this is what I've read so far. A 15-20HP motor may only be required to plane the boat if it's loaded to it's absolute max. If it's you and a buddy fishing, I would think something like a 9.8HP would be adequate. The 4-stroke 9.8 I'm looking at is about 81lbs, so that isn't bad.

I looked at electrics as well. They just don't have the range or speed I would need. I'm going to be traveling against current in a local river, so gas would be the only option for me. If you truly would only be puttering around short distances, maybe electric would be OK. If you might brings friends out for a cruise, I think the performance of an electric would be disappointing.

Dave

mamoka

Cadet

the best will be a 4 or 5 HP gas motor. 9.HP is too heavy if you dont have help.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If speed, torque for fast hole shot and planing is not necessary, go for a 5 HP engine,2/4 strokes of your brand prefference, will do the job pretty well and above all be very portable.

Happy Boating

ericlin0122

Cadet

Thanks guys, I will look into that. a smaller gas motor seems like a better investment than electric motor.