Gas Mileage

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 2WD extended cab pickup. Has the 5.3L 295HP V8. <br /><br />I've been getting a consistent 19-20MPG with it. I have a free flowing gibson exhaust and also have modified the air intake by removing the silencer chamber on the runner as well as opening up the bottom of the airbox. Still need to get a washable gauze filter (K&N). <br /><br />Granted I do exclusively highway driving, and drive off peak (work third shift) so never any traffic to slow me down.<br /><br />Anyway, I decided to try and run a tank of gas with the cruise set at 65 instead of 78. I commute 150 miles a day so it does not take long to get good MPG averages at 750 miles a week.<br /><br />Anyway, with the above engine mods and with a very light foot and constant cruise control usage, I have been getting almost 23 mpg. Last tank I took 22.5 gallons, and went 515 miles (22.88 MPG). Was 510 miles before the low fuel light even came on. <br /><br />So in this truck it's a 20% increase in MPG just by slowing the hell down. Only down side is the commute takes about 15-20 minutes longer now, up to about 1hr and 20 minutes at 65mph from just over an hour at 78mph.<br /><br />I am totally happy about the kind of mileage this truck gets. I do my own maintenance, and it's got 44,000 miles on it already, always synthetic oil, air filter every 10K, etc, etc. <br /><br />Anyone else seeing this kind of freakishly high mileage in a full size pickup with a V8? The window sticker says 19mpg highway so I'm beating that by almost 4mpg.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Gas Mileage

My Cherokee gets nearly 25mpg on the freeway in good conditions...most are lucky to get 20mpg even with the 4 banger and a manual. (I have the 4.0 I6 and an automatic) EPA estimate is only 19mpg. Only gets 18 around town, but I floor it from just about every stop. :D My pickup on the other hand, only gets about 6mpg. When the secondaries open up you can actually here my wallet screaming. :eek:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I'm more surprisd that you can drive for an hour in New Jersey with the cruise set.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ is a great place to look up what the window stickers should say. It covers most 1/2 ton and below vehicles.<br /><br />Bob

Homerr

Commander

A lot depends on the fuel you're buying too.<br /><br />I've noticed a difference between stations. Mine can vary 2 or 3 MPG just from different gas.<br /><br />I also use my cruise control when possible. It helps. But if I get my foot into it at all... Bye-bye gas millage!<br /><br />My truck is 100% factory. I thought of the K&N mass-air flow kit and Gibson custom exhaust, but I'm not decided if the price for it is worth the little increase I'll get.<br /><br />H.