gas leak

Erie88renken

Cadet
Today i got my boat all put back together after her paint job. She looks good! I decided to try to start her up and ran into a problem as soon as I put gas in. I smell it, its leaking somewhere. I turned on my blower and stuck my head over the side to smell the air, i think it would have lit it was so strong. I cant find the leak anywhere. Im thinking its comming from the gas lines to the tank. They look bad to me, what do you think? What are the most common causes of leaking gas? The tank is new(2 years old) and looks good to me. How do I go about making sure the tank is not leaking? Thanks so much.SUNP0058.JPG

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: gas leak

I would add fuel till it backed up into the fill hose. That will tell you. If you see no moisture in the hose or it's connection to the tank then I would suspect the tank itself. Be sure to check where the vent hose connects to the tank, as well. Surely a two year old tank would not be leaking.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: gas leak

Howdy,

http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel.html Has a great article on fuel tanks and systems. Basically, they indicate that the fuel tank and associated hoses etc, should be pressurized to 3psi for leak detection.

System Pressure Test: The entire fuel system must be pressure tested to insure there are no leaks. You have to test the system at least at three PSI, unless you have a long deep system. Then it must be 1 ? times the greatest pressure in the lowest part of the system. For most boats three PSI will do.

Then you can use soapy water on fittings and tank seams etc to look for bubbles.