Gas in spark plug chamber

Jzervos

Cadet
I recently replaced the plugs and wires on my 92 Johnson VRO outboard, and noticed there was gasoline in one of the plug chambers. The motor idled poorly, and also did not plane off well. I replaced the plugs, and the motor ran in neutral without trouble. Did I fix my problem by replacing the plugs? I am concerned about the gas that came out when I removed the old plug.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gas in spark plug chamber

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Either that sparkplug wasn't firing allowing unburned fuel to collect, or more likely you have a carb problem on that cylinder. I'd guess you have a sticky or otherwise leaky float valve and gas is being forced past it by pressure building in the fuel tank. That would happen with a portable tank with automatic venting, or one with a closed vent if it has a vent screw on the cap. Pressure builds up in those from heat and it has to bleed off somewhere. If you're using portable tanks, it's always best to disconnect the fuel line when the boat is not in use. Just make sure you reconnect it before you start it again. Whatcha got for horsepower and fuel supply?

Jzervos

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply, the new plugs must have helped, because there was no gas left in the chamber, and the motor ran much better. I got on plane almost immediately, I think one of the cylinders was not firing, and I was only running on 3 instead of 4 cylinders. I am looking for the gap settings for a 92 Johnson 120 VRO outboard. If anyone knows what these are let me know.<br /><br />Thanks

gasguzzler

Seaman Apprentice

I WAS WONDERING, WHICH CYLINDER WAS IT THAT WAS COLLECTING GAS.TOP CYL IS 1- 2- 3 AND BOTTOM IS 4

Jzervos

Cadet

I am pretty sure it was number four cylinder. It was the bottom right one that had gas in it. The problem seems to be resolved, because I have more power, and the engine idles at low rpms without stalling out.