Gas in 2003 18’CC bilge

MACAL

Cadet
Need help: gas is getting into bilge. Any ideas on why? Where is tank located? Are Sea Pro tanks plastic? All / any info appreciated

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Can't tell ya the type of tank, but DO NOT even attempt to run it or any battery connections till you find the issue, get it cleaned up and odor free. That is a bomb ready to blow up. I can find a pic of one at our marina that blew up a couple weeks ago when I get to my computer.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Are you fueling from the gunnel or forward the console??
My tank is in front center of the console....
You didn't accidentally fill a rod holders??
I've seen it happen......

You need to identify location.... inspection of all clamps and connections.........it's an outboard engine correct??

MACAL

Cadet
Can't tell ya the type of tank, but DO NOT even attempt to run it or any battery connections till you find the issue, get it cleaned up and odor free. That is a bomb ready to blow up. I can find a pic of one at our marina that blew up a couple weeks ago when I get to my computer.
THANK YOU! Yikes

You need to identify location.... inspection of all clamps and connections.........it's an outboard engine correct??
Fill is on the gunnel.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
How much gas do you believe is in the bilge?
And yes a bilge can turn into a bomb.... don't turn anything on....
Remove the drain plug and empty it into a 5 gallon bucket or two and properly discard....
Then flush the bilge with water....at the furthest point forward to the bow and down to the stern....
Once safe we can start diagnosing the problem....

Did this happen immediately after filling up?

MACAL

Cadet

Remove the drain plug and empty it into a 5 gallon bucket or two and properly discard....
Then flush the bilge with water....at the furthest point forward to the bow and down to the stern....

Thank you. Will keep you informed.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
This is whats left of a 20' boat when they explode. The family was thankfully on the dock, the owner hit the key and it blew. He scrambled through the now missing windshield and jumped to the dock. The hatches blew 40'. Cap separated from the hull. Dang lucky no one got hurt this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_152355055.jpg
    IMG_20210620_152355055.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210620_152219075.jpg
    IMG_20210620_152219075.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4

MACAL

Cadet
YIKES! Well. All is 👍🏻on my boat. Drained, washed the tank with soapy water drive it around to schloss around, followed all recommendations from y’all and NO more gas’s in the bilge! Think it got overfilled, and during this heat wave it expanded. Etc. runs clear water now. THANKFUL fir this site. HAPPY BOATING AND FISHING TO YOU!!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Glad you got it going,... BUT even if overfilled it should NOT have gotten into the boat, it should have vented outside to the vent. You have a leak either at the fill pipe, vent, fuel sender, or pickup lines. Further investigation is needed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If the fill hose is OE you might want to consider replacing it.

I’m 2 for 2, on two different boats, that further investigation turned up a dry rotted, leaking fill hose.

MACAL

Cadet
Glad you got it going,... BUT even if overfilled it should NOT have gotten into the boat, it should have vented outside to the vent. You have a leak either at the fill pipe, vent, fuel sender, or pickup lines. Further investigation is needed.
Thank you again! Will have marine mechanic check it out completely again.

MACAL

Cadet
If the fill hose is OE you might want to consider replacing it.

I’m 2 for 2, on two different boats, that further investigation turned up a dry rotted, leaking fill hose.
Thanks! Will have mechanic check this out.

Georges 63

Recruit

Hello Lance
Thanks for your invitation here

Georges 63

Recruit
Hello Lance
Thanks for your invitation here
Where can I find the owner manual of the fort engine or some drawing?
Thanks
Georges 63

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just had one the other day, it sat for a couple years then the new owner bought it without test running. Had us check it over, The impellers were shot, all hoses belts, bad, fuel hoses and fuel was yellow, really ugly. The fuel fill hoses and vent lines cracked/leaking. We got everything in order and launched it. It actually runs but sounds like it needs carb rebuilds. That's easy for me though. If it would have been somewhere else it may have blew like my other post show's. it's no laughing matter when it comes to fuel leaks in a boat.