gas gushing out of carbs - boggs down

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice
Blackmax 150hp V6. Gas is gushing out of my bottom port side carb and gas seems to be fluttering in a few other carbs. Should I work on the carbs/floats or is this a problem with my reeds? Engine has bewildered 2 master merc mechanics because it boggs down at WOT and seems to be running rich. Mechanic says that it has good spark even when it is bogging down and he doesn't think its electrical. It boggs down to lots of different rpms. Sometimes 4600, sometimes 4000 and sometimes as low as 1400rpm. This is the first time that gas has shot out of carbs and it could be the key to solving this problem of bogging down. Thanks.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: gas gushing out of carbs - boggs down

Have you rebuilt the carbs, including floats? If so, were the floats set to the specs in your manual?

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

I have taken apart and cleaned the carbs, but not rebuilt with new needles, seats and floats. You think that the floats or needles could cause gas to gush out of the carbs?

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

if floats are out of adjustment you will have gas gushing out

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The float is attached to the inlet needle which closes off the flow of fuel into the carb. If those components are worn and not working properly or if the floats are misadjusted or heavy, too much fuel enters the carb and they simply run over so to speak. Yes -- you have a carb issue and if two master mechanics can't figure this out, you need two new master mechanics.

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! I will get cracking on the carbs during the weekend of September 22nd and let the forum know how it turns out. ~Keith