Gas Grade?

bigmarc66

Seaman
Hey guys, i've got my 87' Force 125. guy i bought it from said he always ran hight test 93 in it. Is this normal. Do I need to do the same. I have never heard of this I have always used regular 87 in my other motors. Is it bad to have one tank of 87 and one 93 when i take it out this week.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gas Grade?

Premium gas may well be bad for the engine, Marc. Too many additives make deposits.

Unleaded 87 octane is the preferred fuel.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Premium gas may well be bad for the engine, Marc. Too many additives make deposits.

Unleaded 87 octane is the preferred fuel.

I'm not so sure on this. I would think that it would be better to 'stick with what works.' I would almost think that staying consistent is more important than running one or the other.

That being said, I'm not sold on ethanol either. Gas in our area is sold with 10% ethanol on the 87, 89 and 90 (and sometimes 91) octane. When it goes to 92 or 93, it loses the ethanol. I will say this.... I LOVE the idea of supporting our farmers rather than an overseas terrorist cell, but my stuff just doesn't run as well on ethanol.

Wanna see deposits? Wait'll someone takes apart the new E-85 engines after they have some miles on them. (not to even mention how it eats rubber hoses)

I guess this is one of those arguments that everyone would have an opinion on. I just choose to run high octane. I figure on 20 gallons of fuel, it's around $.20 more than regular (87) which equals $4.00 more. I think I can handle the extra cost.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Bummer non oxygenated gas only comes in high octane. 87 octane is the preferred gas for the force. Higher octane fuels were designed for four stroke engines and in a lot of cases it is overrated there as well. As soon as someone hears a ping they think high octane is the cure when chances are something else is wrong. Using a higher octane fuel will lead to premature carbon build up and if you choose to use this fuel make sure you are dosing the gas with sea foam and are doing frequent decarbs on the motor.

jkp1

Cadet

I have a 1995 Force 90 and my owners manual recomends Regular 87 octane IF there is no alcohol. Then states alcohol should be avoided if possible. If unavoidable, use ethonal @ 89 octane. Methonal MUST NOT be used.

In my area, all 87 & 89 gas has 10% ethonal. I myself prefer 93 octane, but about half the time, 89 is the only grade available. Engine seems to run a bit quieter & smoother on 93.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Going on 18 years on my 88 125...nothing but 87...(the way they eat gas, I'd go broke on 93!)

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Back and up to the 70's gasoline had lead in it and was a more powerfull liquid than since it became unleaded. For that reason I would think one has to use mid range or high test fuel to meet the same power as back then. As per my mecanic's recommendation I use high test (92 or 94) as the first fill up of the season, then swith to mid range (89) for the rest of the season. From regular gas (87) to higher test fuel I notice a bit more power on my Johnson 9.9 hp and not as much difference on my Merc/Force 15 hp.