Gas gauge problem 88' smokercraft

nuffa

Cadet
My gas guage on my 1988 SmokerCraft 18' with a 3.0 L I/O. It worked last year, but since I filled it up and winterized it last year, the neddle hasn't come down off from full. Does anyone know where the sending unit is on this type of boat? Or does anyone know of a general location to find the sending unit? Any help would be appreciated. I have a hole in the floor(near the helm) for skies and such and between that and the engine are two wooden planks screwed to the floor. Could it be under these?

Thanks for any help you can give.

The guage does sit at empty when key is on off position, and goes to full on run position.

imported_frosty

Recruit
Re: Gas gauge problem 88' smokercraft

My 1994 Smokercraft 16' acts the same way. The sending unit on mine is in the middle of the floor about 2' forward from the fill pipe. There is a black plastic cover with screws in it. Let us know what it takes to fix.

NJS0930

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Gas gauge problem 88' smokercraft

The sending units are typically in the middle of the fuel tank. Where is the fuel tank? Center of the boat? Likely under the two planks you describe. It sounds like the sending unit float is stuck at the top of the mast. Easy fix. Aftermarket sending units are available. You'll need to remove the old one and measure its length to match it to a new one. Or, maybe your old one can be easily fixed so the float doesn't stick any longer (if that's the problem). Good luck!