gas gauge for Johnson 70HP!

Leopoldo

Seaman
I recently bought a 1986 McKee Craft 16'. Everything is up to par now, thanks to all of the wonderful information shared at this forum. The only glitch is the gas gauge. Original built in boat, tank, 16 gallons. The gauge is original as well. The gauge is all over the place with different readings. There is power to the gauge. The question is, is the problem the gauge or the tank? Can I just buy any gauge and substitute the old one or does the gauge have to match the existing tank? Anyway of testing just the gauge? Thanks in advance for any help.............L

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer
Re: gas gauge for Johnson 70HP!

Sounds like it might be the sending unit, giving different readings..

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No the gauge dosn't have to match the tank any gauge will do, the problem is either in the wiring (loose connection or bad ground) or in the sending unit, pull the sending unit if it is all rusty replace it. (make sure the tank is grounded) i would guess the sending unit is the culpert, you can get them at the auto parts, measure the depth of the tank that is how you know what sending unit you need.

Leopoldo

Seaman

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you.........L

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is not an engine problem, Leopoldo.<br /><br />Your duplicate post in Boat Electrics is where it belongs.