Gas can confusion?

Leopoldo

Seaman
To get my 70 HP Johnson 1987 on target with the boat I recently bought, I have been using auxillary Evinrude 6 gallon gas cans 50:1 mix instead of the old gas in the boat's gas tank! I noticed the 6 gallon containers have no vent in the cap. Is that normal? I am use to venting all of my smaller horsepower outboards with the gas container's vent cap. The 6 gallon containers have no vent cap! It runs great this way, but was just wondering how this can be?...........L

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas can confusion?

I'm not real sure how they work, but the Johnson Brand portables don't have the little vent either. Must be built in to the cap somehow..

rwise

Captain

I think it is in the plug for the fuel line on newer tanks. Opens when its connected.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

The vent is built into the fitting on top of the tank. It's the little springy pin sticking out. When the fitting is plugged in & pushes the pin in, it opens the vent.

Leopoldo

Seaman

Originally posted by Ed:<br /> The vent is built into the fitting on top of the tank. It's the little springy pin sticking out. When the fitting is plugged in & pushes the pin in, it opens the vent.
Thanks guys, that makes sense!