garmin or magellan GPS

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking at three gps,one is the magellan 200 explorist it has built in north america map built in,the second one is magellan explorist in color,<br />third is garmin etrex legend c color.<br /><br /> It seems that the mag,200 is the only one that has built in maps, and is the least expensive.<br />does annyone have experiance with these three models, how user frendly are they? trhanks..C.70. :confused:

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: garmin or magellan GPS

The legend has built in maps too. Check out the etrex Vista color for even more memory for loading more maps/charts. I'm partial to Garmin, but all 3 are good. Definitely go with the color screen though. The B&W screens on units that small are hard to read.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any Garmin model with "MAP" in the model number has a built-in base map and has mapping capability.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks a lot guye for the info,<br /> <br /> Drowned Rat<br /> Upinsmoke<br /> Rudy brown<br /> PS, Got the Etrex Legend C<br /> <br /> Have a nic day... :) :D ;)

bigmarksr

Cadet

GARMIN FOR SURE. I was given a Magellan handheld, an explorist, for a Christmas gift and it was bad out of the box. would not talk to computer to download maps, drained batteries in 30 min. or less. I sent it in and they lost it for a month, then sent it back unrepaired, and wanted to give me $50 dollars towards purchase of a $185 unit. the bad one cost my son $200.
I have an ETREX that is older than the magellan, and have had no problems. same batteries for 2 years. only problem is it is so old, It will not support maps. I will be buying a new ETREX this summer so I can get maps. I live in the deep south, and we all fish and hunt. several people have told me similar stories of dissatisfaction and bad engineering with magellan hand held GPS units. called them power hogs. I am an electronics tech, and work with electronics engineers and we use GPS as an important part of what we do, so we know good form bad engineering and support. I would lose my job for treating customers the way Magellan treated me. good luck and good fishing