Garmin GPSMAP540

zeusmt

Cadet
Does anyone have the GPSMap540? What do you think? I'm thinking of picking it up and was wondering what you all thought. I have a Fiesta Vee - will the internal antenna suffice, or do I need an external antenna?

Also, does Garmin have any computer software that will allow you to plot a course on a PC, then transfer it to the GPS unit?

Finally, does anyone have any reviews on the BlueChart g2 cards?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Garmin GPSMAP540

I've got a 4208 which is the big brother of the 540. If you don't have a hardtop on the boat then an internal should suffice. Personality I would go with the remote to get the best possible signal but that's just me.

You can purchase the Mapsource software. I use it to download data from the unit to the PC for back up purposes and to review my track data and way point data. Its lot easier to configure routes at home and down load them to the unit.

Not sure about inland waterways but the G2 charts are arguably one of the best when it comes to inshore and near shore cartography.

zeusmt

Cadet
Re: Garmin GPSMAP540

Well, I took the plunge and bought the 540 and the software to go with it. When I get over the guilt, I'll get one of those g2 cards, too.