Garmin GPSMAP 7608xsv Issue

tpenfield

Staff member
This might be a long shot, but I'll give it a try . . .

My Garmin (GPSMAP 7608xsv) powered up as normal today, but within a few minutes powered itself off (apparently) and will not power back up. I checked the connections and the fuse, tried a bunch of things but still a no-go. In Googling, it appears that there are issues with the Garmins not powering up and various magic tricks to bring them back to life. I did not have my multimeter with me at the time :cautious:

Just wondering if anyone here has any direct experience on the Garmin chart plotters.

New ones are $1,500 ish . . . .o_O

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
This might be a long shot, but I'll give it a try . . .

My Garmin (GPSMAP 7608xsv) powered up as normal today, but within a few minutes powered itself off (apparently) and will not power back up. I checked the connections and the fuse, tried a bunch of things but still a no-go. In Googling, it appears that there are issues with the Garmins not powering up and various magic tricks to bring them back to life. I did not have my multimeter with me at the time :cautious:

Just wondering if anyone here has any direct experience on the Garmin chart plotters.

New ones are $1,500 ish . . . .o_O

Makes it past boot sequence ?
Software been updated?
Fully operational until shutdown?
How long after boot until shutdown?
What is “system” voltage on display?
Performed factory reset?
By chance, hear a relay “click” along with shut down?
What transducer is connected?
Pull the transducer, network and gps inputs from unit. Then reboot. See if that solves the problem.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the ideas. I'll be taking my DVM out to the boat this afternoon to check voltages, etc. I've also Googled a few reset/restart methods. There is what looks like a reset pinhole just below the power button.

I also noted that a ground wire wire was never connected to the unit, so I'll be adding that. However, it has been working for years without it. :unsure:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the ideas. I'll be taking my DVM out to the boat this afternoon to check voltages, etc. I've also Googled a few reset/restart methods. There is what looks like a reset pinhole just below the power button.
They use a 10-32 VDC auto-ranging power supply. Check to see what voltage is being reported by the unit.

Went round and round with a Garmin tech over the issue. Kicked it up to engineering who called me back to discuss. Confirmed my diagnosis, bad power supply.
I also noted that a ground wire wire was never connected to the unit, so I'll be adding that. However, it has been working for years without it. :unsure:
Electrical ground is in the harness.

Guessing the wire in question is “earth” ground. Typically tied to a dynaplate (bonding plate) to provide a common potential (signal) between units when the system is powered from multiple sources.

Check to see if the unit is actually powering down or just the video is dropping out. Had a video pcb take a dump as well.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick update . . .

there is power to the connector. I did get the unit to power up briefly, but it shuts off in about 1 second. I discovered that there was some water inside the unit. (Not sure how that happened. . .) I got a drop or 2 of water out of the power button area, more water out of the SD card slot and it appears that there are 3 areas of water in the display screen.

I'm thinking this unit is done. Not sure if drying it out will remedy anything . . . :unsure:

Anyway, I think I got to find a plug compatible model . . . might be the 943xsv (?) :unsure:

In other news, The port trim sender had a fatal, but I did clear a fault code for the O2 sensor.

tpenfield

Staff member
I tried powering up the 'old' GPS before installing the new one . . . It did power up, since it continues to dry out, but the screen has several black areas on it (presumably from the water).
IMG_6413.JPG
The new one (GPSMAP 943xsv) fit right into the existing opening. :cool: Just needed to drill some new mounting holes.
IMG_6414.JPG
The screen area is a bit bigger, but the unit dimensions are about the same as the old one.