Garmin Gpsmap 178 or 76s

Eric K.

Cadet
I boat on the St. Johns near Blue Springs and on the ICW in Daytona here in Florida. Would like to know if the base maps on these items are any good or do I need to factor in an extra $100 for the bluecharts download. Thanks for any input on these two Gps units.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Garmin Gpsmap 178 or 76s

You will want the Bluecharts, Eric, or the waterways and markers CD.<br /><br />Base maps are okay for general use, but you want detail for safe piloting.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the 76 map,(the one I own) the street maps on the base map was actualy decent.As for the water shows outline of shore (for greatlakes area) and nothing else.I'm pretty sure the 176 is simular to the one I helped a freind instal. About the same as the 76, no detail. Blue charts are are a good program, but I paid closer to 200$. Gives you great tools for planing trips, I use it mostly for finding area's for bass fishing in lake st.claire.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

Eric K.

Cadet

Thanks guys. I will plan on the extra money so the wife will know the real amount. She doesn't like $100 surprises, unless she is wearing it!