Garmin Fuel Sensor

I have a Garmin 440s chartplotter/fishfinder that I really like. I was in WestMarine the other day looking for a 12volt cable to power it with at my house for uploading data/firmware updates.
They, of course, didn't have it, but offered to order it for me. When the salesman pulled up the Accessories page from Garmin, I noticed a new accessory for that model, the GFS10 Fuel Sensor (which West Marine lists for $129) .
Apparently after you upgrade the firmware on a 400,500,4000,5000 series chart plotter, it can read the fuel sensor. (Updating the firmware is free and easy to do. All you need is an SD card.)
West Marine doesn't have it in yet (and neither do most online retailers), but they expect it in the stores any day now.

From Garmin's sales lit...
"The GFS 10 tracks fuel flow use and sends the data to your chartplotter via the Garmin CANet or NMEA 2000. Unlike other fuel flow sensors, the GFS 10 will include fuel level sensing capability when connected to an existing analog fuel gauge or resistive fuel tank sensor. Maximum fuel flow rate for the GFS 10 is 50 gallons per hour, and the minimum flow rate is two gallons per hour. Multiple fuel sensors can be connected for boats with multiple engines or tanks."

I'd love to have fuel flow sensing ability. Anyone want to buy one, and tell me what it takes to install? Better yet, anyone want to buy ME one and I'll write up a review? :D

I applaud Garmin for adding a new function to a chartplotter that I bought without that function. How often does that happen!! :)

tommays

Admiral
Re: Garmin Fuel Sensor

I have the lowrance withe Nema 2000 fuel flow

All NEMA 2000 networks are SHOULD be the same :rolleyes: which means you would need a network kit to add sensors

* GFS 10
* Mounting hardware
* Fuel filter
* 4 reusable stainless steel hose clamps
* NMEA 2000 to CANet™ adapter cable
* NMEA 2000 T connector and terminators
* Documentation

It seems pretty compleat might just need a cable long enough to reach the motor area

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Garmin Fuel Sensor

I have a Garmin 440s chartplotter/fishfinder that I really like. I was in WestMarine the other day looking for a 12volt cable to power it with at my house for uploading data/firmware updates.
They, of course, didn't have it, but offered to order it for me. When the salesman pulled up the Accessories page from Garmin, I noticed a new accessory for that model, the GFS10 Fuel Sensor (which West Marine lists for $129) .
Apparently after you upgrade the firmware on a 400,500,4000,5000 series chart plotter, it can read the fuel sensor. (Updating the firmware is free and easy to do. All you need is an SD card.)
West Marine doesn't have it in yet (and neither do most online retailers), but they expect it in the stores any day now.

I'd love to have fuel flow sensing ability. Anyone want to buy one, and tell me what it takes to install? Better yet, anyone want to buy ME one and I'll write up a review? :D

I had the GFS10 installed on my boat to my GPSMap 525s and it works a treat. I had to buy the sensor and the CANNET kit and I did the firmware upgrade from the website (however the sensor does come with an SD card with appropriate firmware). It is showing the flow but there is an issue with it reading the analogue tank sensor. There was a bit of trickery involved in getting the GPS to 'see' the sensor and it was something to do with an accessory cable.

Definately handy to work out when its under load and what the various trim/leg positions do to your economy.