Garmin 4212 versus 5212

ksgoldman

Cadet
I'm finally at the point where I need to make a decision on electronics for my new boat and keep tossing a coin between the Garmin 4212 and Garmin 5212. Although the 6212 and 7212 look great, they really don't seem to be worth the extra money (especially since I can reinvest it in additional electronics like XM Weather).

I'd appreciate any and all perspectives on going the touch screen versus the non-touch screen route. I've heard pros and cons about the touch screen and would like to do this right the first time.

I've already decided on Garmin given that I have had great experience with their electronics in the past (and I don't fish, and am not trying to see birds at 100 miles). For me I like their intuitive user interface and customer service.

In addition to using the 4212 or 5212 for GPS, I'll have an 18" radome, depthfinder, and XM Weather as well as an interface to the Yamaha Command Link (so that I can see the engine gauges on the Garmin).

Thanks for the help on this.

Ken

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Garmin 4212 versus 5212

If I had it to do over again I would go with the touch screen in a heart beat.

A good friend of mine has a 5208 and I have a 4208. Both navigation only (GPS & radar) After using his for an afternoon I find myself constantly punching at my screen. The buttons just are not the same.