Gamefisher 15 questions/problems

mochosla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys,

I just bought a very nice aluminum boat that came with a Gamefisher 15. The motor looks to be in very good shape. However, it will not start unless I throw some gas into the carb with a syringe. Once it starts, it runs great and will start again the first pull every time. If I wait a few hours, I will have the same issue. I'm following the right process to start it up (prime it, use the choke, prime it with the motor's prime pump (I first prime it with the fuel tank's prime hand pump until its hard).

The other questions I have are:

What year is this motor?

I assume it is a 15HP?

Who makes it and can I get parts for it?

What compression should this motor have on the pistons?

Model # 225 581501
Serial # 8576

Please help.

Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gamefisher 15 questions/problems

Be sure the choke butterfly is closing all the way.
Guessing it is Force built,circa 1989.You can get some parts for it a few here and out there somewhere possibly Mercury though they anounced some years ago they were stopping new parts support.Anotherwords After the parts in the system were gone only generic parts sources.
Compression is 125-135 usually 100 psi is acceptable.Important that it is within 10% between cylinders.

mochosla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you very much for the reply. I have checked that the choke butterfly is closing all the way and the problem persists. Any other idea what the problem my be?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yours is a 1989 Force, according to

http://www.maxrules.com/ForceModels/3p5_45.html

My guess is that your primer bulb may be dried out/cracked.
I just got a 1994 Gamefisher 15hp 225.581506. I think it's like yours.
Mine had a dried/cracked/broken primer bulb. (Not the black primer bulb cover that you can see & push. There is a clear bulb with a white hose connection stem inside the black cover. You have to kind of pry it out of the black cover, after you disconnect the hose and remove the black cover from the motor) When trying to cold-start it on a stand, I could get it to start by blowing a small puff of air in the primer bulb hose. After it warmed up, I could start it without the puff. After I replaced the bulb, it starts easily.

It sounds to me like you have a priming problem. I would check the primer hose and bulb.

I got my new primer bulb here (it's part number 34):
http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/1459/160.cfm

Hope this helps,
Jim

mochosla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The problem was resolved a while ago but yes, the issue is what you described.

Thanks.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Oops,

I thought your post was a couple of weeks old, not a YEAR and a couple of weeks!

Any chance you know where I can download a pdf manual for these Gamefisher 15s?

Jim

mochosla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes. Go to Sears.com and under parts you will find the schematics of the motor. It is not a full on manual but it helps.