Galvanized or Painted Wheels?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
My trailer takes 4.80x12 tires. Boat/trailer use is strictly salt water.

I can get a tire and painted rim combo at Walmart for about $45. West Marine wants $70 plus for a galvanized tire and rim combo. Based on iboat Marine Store prices, it looks like the tire alone would run me $40-$45.

So, I'm thinking, even though the trailer is galvanized, if I'm going to have to replace the tires every 4-5 years, maybe it makes most sense to get the painted wheel/tire combo at Walmart - and repeat every 4-5 years. The trailer had painted rims when I bought it and they (the rims) lasted way over 5 years of being dipped in salt water.

Any thoughts?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Galvanized or Painted Wheels?

I'd get the galvanized wheels and then just replace the tires every few years, but either way you'll be O.K.....

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I just bought those same tires with the painted wheels for my trailer (I had to pay $77 each at Wal Mart). The reas of the trailer is Galvanized except I have painted the fenders black, used a self etching primer & worked great...so far. The new wheels look great, I'm not a big fan of the over all look of galvanized metal, it just looks old & shabby to me. I'm planning on painting the rest of the trailer soon.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally when it comes to my trailer I prefer function over looks. I'd love to have an all galvanized trailer, but since mine didn't come with one I have to use what I got. That being said the tires are expensive, and if you can get a combo for $45, I'd go that route too. Unfortunately around here that same combo is $75. You may want to check and see if that is a clearance price cause they only have one or something along that line. I mean if you can afford it I'd probably go galvanized and know you don't really have to worry about the rim barring any unforeseen circumstances.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Checked back at Walmart. Turns out I was looking at 12" rims someone had put in the 8" rim section. As noted, the actual price on the 12" rims is in the $75 range (actually $73.99 at my Walmart).

Since West has galvanized 12" rims w/tires at $74.99, I guess I'll be a big spender and go for the extra $1 and get the galvanized wheels.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

For saltwater boating, I think that you're going to be much happier in the long run with those galvanized wheels.