Galvanic corrosion and low hour engine?

jasperboy

Seaman
Found a possible "deal" but need some advice. Located a 1999 with only 35 hours, actual and documented 35 hours on 7.4 mpi and bravo 3!! Boat was owned by older doctor who almost never left the marina. Dr. passed and wife is selling. Survey says oil levels are normal and clean, but there is of course signifacant galvanic corrosion .

Actual quote is:
"Mercathode anti corrosion system appears inoperative as there is considerable corrosion on the stern drive components and anodes."

Question is how serious is the galvanic corrosion issue, and is "super low" hours just as bad as real high hours?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Galvanic corrosion and low hour engine?

The corrostion has absolutely nothing to do with how many hours are on a boat. Even with the Mercathode, things need attention.
A 99 boat with EFI engine, and lots corrosion = a money pit to get back up to specs.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Boat was owned by older doctor who almost never left the marina................Actual quote is:
"Mercathode anti corrosion system appears inoperative as there is considerable corrosion on the stern drive components and anodes."

Question is how serious is the galvanic corrosion issue, and is "super low" hours just as bad as real high hours?
Howdy,

1999-2011 is roughly 12 years in the water.......or about 105,000 hrs in the water.....Like Don said, engine hours are not significant here....

AND, with an inoperative/mal-adjusted Mercathode..........there's still a drive back there?;)

I would plan on a replacement drive just for starters.....

Look on ebay. There's a LOT of Bravo III's there for anywhere from $3000-6000.

For a boat that has sit in the water all those years the engine could even be junk too....

Good luck.

Rick

jasperboy

Seaman

Thanks for the thoughts. Freshwater boat on the Great Lakes, so not saltwater and about 5 months a year in the water. I'll try and post a pic of the corosion. Hate to miss a nice low hour boat, but don't wish to put in a new outdrive either.

TilliamWe

Banned

You have to remove the props to see how bad the corrosion really is. It's the rear bearing carrier with the oil seal in it, that you don't want to be corroded badly. This photo is of mine, and it was still holding oil and it looked this way for 6 years after I discovered the issue:
MVC-123S.jpg

MVC-657F.jpg

In my case, I was turning the battery switch to "OFF" and that was turning off my Mercathode system. The corrosion you see happened in 2 summers of freshwater slipping in the Illinois River, from April to October. Once I started leaving the battery on, painting the drive every year, and switched to "Freshwater Only" anodes, I halted the advancement of the corrosion for 6 years. Then I sold the boat.

Somewhere on here in the last couple of days a guy posted a picture of a B3 drive where the oil seal was VERY exposed due to corrosion. Find it, that's what you DO NOT want to see.

TilliamWe

Banned

Here's the thread I was referring to:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=458063

Note how the case near the props isn't that bad, but the rear bearing carrier is JUNK. That's why you have to remove the props. Special (meaning BIG) sockets/wrenches needed to remove B3 props.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Special (meaning BIG) sockets/wrenches needed to remove B3 props.

Yeah, standard socket for the outer nut but a special one for the inner.....

If you don't want to pay $50-75 for the Mercury socket, you have to make one or buy a "Propper" Tool.