Gale sovereign 40 hp-year and how to interchange

Lou Earle

Cadet
I ran across a running 40 hp gale sovereign.Then on way home spotted another old fiberglass boat in a yard not 2 miles from where I just picked up the gale. I had a gale sovereign 40 hp on it to!!! Long shaft in very decent shape as was the boat.
the model # are
short shaft- 49DE17B long shaft 40DE17BL
I cannot find a ref as to the year of these engines- i was told 63. Anyone got any ideas as to year?

Also is it possible to to get the Johnson short shaft parts and interchange them with the long shaft gale or am I begging for trouble.
Thanks for all your help in the past and for the help will be giving.
Lou Earle

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gale sovereign 40 hp-year and how to interchange

Those numbers should be 40DE17B and 40DEL17B They are 1963 motors. Johnson and Gale parts are interchangeable---and NOT. You must compare part numbers. The best thing you can do for yourself is get a parts book for your motors. They both take the same book.

Lou Earle

Cadet

I do not know why but the model is 40DE17BL and not as u said - guess someone at factory grabbed wrong stamp.
Where do you suggest I locate or bus a parts book. I was unclear doe the Johnson eventide parts interchange with gale ?
Is it possible to take a short shaft lower unit from a Johnson 40 hp and mate it to the gale 40 hp engine that now has long shaft? I actually have 60's Johnson short shaft with bad head that is why I ask.
Thanks
Lou

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I can't explain the goofy model number.

However, as I tried to explain, some parts are interchangeable between Johnson and Gale. Some are not. On many, you have to go to a different year and you will find an interchange.

Specifically, concerning your 1963---No, a 1963 Johnson 40hp lower unit will not fit a 1963 Gale. Neither will the drive shaft or cooling system parts. However, a 1957-58 Johnson 35hp lower unit will fit. But not ALL 1958---there were two types made in 1958. A Johnson 28 or 33hp lower unit from the 1960's will also fit. See what I mean?

Parts books are available from www.outboardbooks.com or often on e-bay.

Lou Earle

Cadet

FR AND ALL OF YOU
Thank all of you for your help a patience. I am new to the old outboard engines and boats business. I sure I will be asking a lot about things that make these engines run. And these boats stay afloat!!!!
A little about me I am a 68 you attorney still plugging away at some work in my office and now devoting me time to boats and outboards. I have for many years collected old cars - a model fords old Plymouth's and now a 58 dodge and 60 desoto big finned cars.Then a friend said he knew where a duracraft boat was located with big 57 Chevy type fins- went and saw it and I was hoked! I got a hold of a 60s bear cat engine and love the boat and motor. Next it seems like every old boat and motor in central Georgia wound up in my field- imagine that- just followed me home.
Anyway I do have some ability to use left handed wrenches and am being trained on right handed ones now; but as to the hands on how to's on these babies I am totally ignorant. If you want info about 34 to 60 Chrysler corp repairs I might be able to help or a model fords. But now I will need your help-.
FR thanks so much for indicating what I might need to convert to short shaft.
Hope to keep you all posted
Thanks
Lou Earle
Dublin GA

Lou Earle

Cadet
Re:eek:ne last engine model # year???

Re:eek:ne last engine model # year???

Thanks for the leads to translating engine model #'s to the year got all but one It says it is a 40 hp Johnson and model # is RKL28B- it is a short shaft engine can anyone tell me what year and how you got the info?
thanks
Lou