Fuels

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice
Never thought about this, but i need to fill it up soon (newbie).<br /><br />What fuel do i use, its 50:1 82 25hp rude.<br /><br />Do i use LRP, or will unleaded, optimax ultimate 98ron work??<br /><br />what is best?

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuels

87 octane is fine. And use a good quality TCW-3 oil, like Quicksilver for example. Stay away from the chainsaw/weedeater oil, which is for air-cooled motors. And stay away from fuel additives.<br /><br />EDIT: Run some Sea Foam in the gas, completely safe and will clean out the carbon inside the cylinders.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

Lrp it is then, yep i have some quicksilver premium tcw3.<br />will look into the sea foam haven't heard of it.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

NAPA carries it, it's in a white can. Look for it in the aisle with carb cleaner and such. Get a can of it to put in gas, and can of "Deep Creep", it's aerosol can. Great for just about anything. Starting fluid, penetrating fluid, mixed drinks........<br /><br />You can put it in you car, lawnmower, outboard. It'll clean up injectors, gums, varnishes, carbon. You can even put in oil. <br /><br /> http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Paul Moir

Admiral

You don't need or want LRP. No 2 stroke outboard ever did well by the LP, and it certainly doesn't need the additives that make it LRP. ULP is just fine for it, or as we call it here, "Regular".<br /><br />Just about all oUtboards never needed the octane enhancement of tetra-ethyl lead since they're relatively low compression engines. Nor did they need the lubricating properties like auto engines with unhardened valve seats. They don't have valves afterall. 87 MON (North American octane) works out to about 91 RON (Rest of the world octane). High octane fuel is often a source of problems, so get no higher than necessary.<br /><br />Fill in your location so we know where you're from. It really helps. I doubt you'll ever find Seafoam since it's hard to find it here in Canada. ;) <br />OMC "Engine Tuner", Yamaha "Ring Free", Merc "Power Tune", are all replacements for seafoam. Use whichever you like.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

I was scratching my head sitting here, wondering what LRP and optimax ultimate 98 RON was. I figured definitely outside of the US.

mjrobbins

Cadet

Originally posted by mikeyzx2:<br /> NAPA carries it, it's in a white can. Look for it in the aisle with carb cleaner and such. Get a can of it to put in gas, and can of "Deep Creep", it's aerosol can. Great for just about anything. Starting fluid, penetrating fluid, mixed drinks........<br /><br />You can put it in you car, lawnmower, outboard. It'll clean up injectors, gums, varnishes, carbon. You can even put in oil. <br /><br /> http://www.seafoamsales.com/

mjrobbins

Cadet

Thanks for the NAPA tip. I live in Florida and can't find SeaFoam down here. Up in Minnesota everyone swears by it. How do you feel about StaBil? (obviously a stabilizer/cleaner)

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

ahh australia sorry.<br /><br />thanks to someone that answered, unleaded it is, i can't find any lrp anymore.<br /><br />our lrp is lead replacement to replace super.<br /><br /><br />Isnt super(lrp) around 95 octane? should i be using the unleaded 91ron or a premium 96.<br /><br />so staying away from the 98 sounds like the go.